confused by broadband+TV options

Yeah. I stlll have a saterllite and freesat box, and the freesat box is like that, can pause and rewind up to 2 hours of live TV (if same channel kept on).
But the freeview picture is much better than freesat and much easier to use too. I still have a lot of stuff on the freesat box that was recorded years ago and I've still not watched it!
All the main channels have apps now, so less need to record anything

My new LG includes Freeview, Freesat, internet browser, plus all of the usual Netflix and Amazon pay services, plus all of the catchup and on demand, everything integrated into the one box. I retired my separate multi-satellite system soon after I got the LG. I expected the sound on the LG, because it was so thin, would be pathetic - I got as far as researching 'sound bars', buts that has proven to be more than adequate.

Sponsored Links
Yeah. LGs are good. I have a Marantz AV amp with 5 speakers (including 2 Rega floorstanders that are now 20 years old), sounds lovely.

I've spent quite some time looking at various ADSL broadband suppliers to compare them with the prices we've been paying for Virgin Media - £42 a month for 100Mb - and, of course, they are all a good deal cheaper.
Before switching, however, I thought I'd speak to Virgin and managed to get a reduction to £34 a month. I thought I'd push my luck and ask for a reduction of speed to 50Mb, and the price dropped further to £27 a month. That's only a few pounds more than the cheapest ADSL suppliers, so went with them on a 12 month contract.

This is still without a phone line, of course, and Virgin said I could have their phone line for a further £7 a month, but there will be no free calls as with Vonage. For now, then, we'll hang on to Vonage, but we've discussed leaving them and relying only on our mobile phones for telephone calls. That would result in £27 for our internet and, being on Three PAYG, I believe our UK calls will be something like 3p a minute and no standing charge.

For what it's worth...

We have Virgin 100mb broadband, landline, free calls to all landlines/mobiles if not over 59 mins (Europe/USA incl), basic tv package (finally gave up on freeview recently) for £43 pm.

Sponsored Links
For what it's worth...

We have Virgin 100mb broadband, landline, free calls to all landlines/mobiles if not over 59 mins (Europe/USA incl), basic tv package (finally gave up on freeview recently) for £43 pm.

Well, I don't know how you managed to talk them into that! My current deal (will end tomorrow) is 100Mb only, no phone, no free calls, and no TV package. That is charged at £41.98 per month. Even a phone line would be another £7 a month - without free calls!

Go on. How did you bribe them? :D Who do you know? :sneaky:

The price is usually cheaper when you take phone instead of just broadband. It sounds silly but they have packages setup around things like this. If you look at the virgin media bundle page I see telephone and broadband for first 12 months £28 where as broadband on its own first 12 months is £37.

Well, I don't know how you managed to talk them into that! My current deal (will end tomorrow) is 100Mb only, no phone, no free calls, and no TV package. That is charged at £41.98 per month. Even a phone line would be another £7 a month - without free calls!

Go on. How did you bribe them? :D Who do you know? :sneaky:
M100 broadband
Talk More International Anytime*
MixTV

Threatened to leave unless TV was added to existing contract and 'loyalty bonus' applied.

Good time to give it a go, as apparently towards the last week of the month is a good time to 'negotiate' :)

*The 59 minute rule applies to all calls - I got stung £7 for a UK call that I thought wasn't time applicable!

Our VM Tivo, broadband and phone package hit £80 a month a while back.

I looked at what we actually used and rang them up to cancel the rest.

We now have their broadband only for £33 a month iirc for two years.

No phone, No TV.

Freeview is good enough, you can buy a Freeview PVR which is very similar to Tivo. Bite the bullet and fit a TV aerial imho.

Never used the landline in 14 years of having it, what a waste of money..

There broadband is that good and reliable I'd be cutting my nose off to spite my face by going elsewhere though.

M100 broadband
Talk More International Anytime*
MixTV

Threatened to leave unless TV was added to existing contract and 'loyalty bonus' applied.

Good time to give it a go, as apparently towards the last week of the month is a good time to 'negotiate' :)

*The 59 minute rule applies to all calls - I got stung £7 for a UK call that I thought wasn't time applicable!
Good for you. I admire your tenacity.

The price is usually cheaper when you take phone instead of just broadband. It sounds silly but they have packages setup around things like this. If you look at the virgin media bundle page I see telephone and broadband for first 12 months £28 where as broadband on its own first 12 months is £37.
Not in my case. See above: a further £7 a month for phone, plus call charges of course.

Good for you. I admire your tenacity.
Do you have an alternative feed (BT line)?

I can't prove it, but...

I was once told by a Virgin engineer (on a call out) that if you don't, then Virgin will call your own bluff about leaving and won't give you the best deals...

I can't prove it, but...

I was once told by a Virgin engineer (on a call out) that if you don't, then Virgin will call your own bluff about leaving and won't give you the best deals...

How much does it cost for a BT line install these days -£100-ish. You can easily save that in just a few weeks.

I can't prove it, but...

No, I don't have a phone line and haven't had one as long as we've been in this house - over ten years.

I'm fairly happy with Virgin right now, as we have managed to knock the cost down substantially. However, should I decide to leave Virgin and go with another supplier, I have found that most suppliers will charge £50 or £60 for a new line, which I'm prepared to pay. One of them actually said they'd do it for nowt!

If I decided to leave Virgin for any reason, they'll certainly find I'm not bluffing!

I'm fairly happy with Virgin right now, as we have managed to knock the cost down substantially. However, should I decide to leave Virgin and go with another supplier, I have found that most suppliers will charge £50 or £60 for a new line, which I'm prepared to pay. One of them actually said they'd do it for nowt!

They laid fibre to the garden gate of every property in this village, took them months, then went round knocking on doors, trying to get subscribers. I had already looked at what was available to me, plus the prices and what I might need. I also weighed up being tied to VB and thought - no way.

No, I don't have a phone line and haven't had one as long as we've been in this house - over ten years.

If I decided to leave Virgin for any reason, they'll certainly find I'm not bluffing!
I too have been fairly happy with Virgin (especially speed wise), but it pays to remind them of the 'alternatives' occasionally!

And vice-versa, telling the 'alternatives' that you'd go with them if they waive the installation costs and put you on the best 'new customer' deal...

According to that engineer they can all access the connections database, so having options available (even if you do have to pay £50 or so) is beneficial.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back