confused by broadband+TV options

I too have been fairly happy with Virgin (especially speed wise), but it pays to remind them of the 'alternatives' occasionally!

And vice-versa, telling the 'alternatives' that you'd go with them if they waive the installation costs and put you on the best 'new customer' deal...

According to that engineer they can all access the connections database, so having options available (even if you do have to pay £50 or so) is beneficial.
What prompted me to stir myself was the news that they're going to put their prices up by £4 a month in September.
I can't abide greed. They are already the most expensive.

Sponsored Links
I use Freesat and freeview both Freesat box and tv can record so no problem recording programs for the Mrs ( she is totally confused by iPlayer etc).
Spend £20 on line rental and internet (40mb fibre) . Only use the landline for incoming calls as both of us have unlimited calls on mobiles (£17 monthly for the pair).

I use Freesat and freeview both Freesat box and tv can record so no problem recording programs for the Mrs ( she is totally confused by iPlayer etc).
Spend £20 on line rental and internet (40mb fibre) . Only use the landline for incoming calls as both of us have unlimited calls on mobiles (£17 monthly for the pair).

What would you say are the benefits of Freesat over aerial Freeview?.

I was looking at putting a dish up at some point in the future.

Sponsored Links
What would you say are the benefits of Freesat over aerial Freeview?.

I was looking at putting a dish up at some point in the future.

Not much difference really, a few different channels to each. Freesat wins where local reception might be difficult for Freeview, great whilst away in caravan anywhere in UK.

I've seen the portable Freesat for caravans.

To be fair after rewiring our TV Aerial we get 230 odd channels, all with no interference.

Probably a waste of money then buying a Freesat for home use?, might treat the caravan to one next year though.

I've seen the portable Freesat for caravans.

To be fair after rewiring our TV Aerial we get 230 odd channels, all with no interference.

Probably a waste of money then buying a Freesat for home use?, might treat the caravan to one next year though.

I bought one around 10 years ago, nothing fancy. The thing is, that unlike terrestrial Freeview, which depends upon line of sight to a transmitter, that providing where your caravan is sited where the you can see the appropriate bit of sky, you will get reception almost anywhere. I usually stay like to stay out in the wilder parts, where terrestrial reception is poor anyway, so tall masts, large antennas and lots of alignment and tuning.

I have the dish on a short bit of steel awning pole, which gets hammered into the ground, dish drops onto that, then gets aligned with the sat. It doesn't need the receiver to be retuned, so I usually have reception in a couple of minutes. My dish uses a clever little plastic gadget, where you simply dial in the sat you are trying to receive, hook it onto the dish, then a floating ball combined level/ compass gets you pointing at the sat within just a few degrees. Receiver has a built in tone which gets louder, as you peak the signal, getting it spot on pointing at the sat. Incredibly easy and I have never failed to get full reception anywhere I have been.

Its just a small plastic dish sold by Maplin as the Suitcase Sat Receiver. It only drops out in really thick cloud cover.

Just to close this out... I stayed with Virgin for another 12 months. I went from paying something like £67 a month (plus normally £20 of calls) to £35 a month for the same package but with anytime calls included. They are also sending me a new V6 box which I actually value as it has much bigger storage. They are charging £30 for that but will offset it with a statement credit. (Although they have managed to mess thisup and charge £135, reminding me that next year I really do need to find a more competent and less painful supplier). But moral of the story is - renew/change every 12 months. I must have wasted thousands in the last few years by sitting by while they jacked up their prices.

A good result then (y)

I'm sure all of us have wasted money over the years by not changing or haggling!

A good result then (y)

I'm sure all of us have wasted money over the years by not changing or haggling!

I used to just stick, but now I haggle for everything I possibly can. I'm even convinced that the companies put a marker against your account with them, that marks you up as a customer who is no mug. I fancy my car's insurance broker has me marked as such - I got a good quote when I first joined them 7 years ago, then it began to drift up and the set me up to auto-renew without my permission. I rang them and told them not to dare to auto- renew and made clear I wasn't happy with their quote - they would have to do much better to keep me as a customer. They did much better and it has remained 'better' since. I am still with them and despite costs rising, mine is the same as last year and the same as the year before.

I have 'special deals' on many things, even the gas and electric bill. I changed supplier as always at the end of last year, for one of the cheaper ones, one of the 'big six' this time. Soon after I joined them, they presented a new even cheaper special deal, so I was able to swap to that at no cost, but saving an extra £50 per year. I subscribe to the MSE thing which lets you know when a cheaper deal comes along, which warned me about the new deal with my present supplier and I was able to swap online and instantly last March.

I also wonder if there might be a 'best time of year' to be offered better quotes for gas and electricity?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back