confused over light pull's

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We require 2 light pulls (or maybe 3). One for upstairs main bathroom & one for downstairs WC.

Looking at screwfix, I am confused as to which I need - 6A, 50A etc.

The bathroom will have say 6 downlighters and an extractor fan (assume this can be own it's own pull cord, as can't see the point of it being on all the time, as two opening windows exist)

The cloakroom will have two downlighters and an extractor fan - no window, so this will need to come on with lights.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Normally 5/6/10A for lighting circuits, and 40/45/50A switches for shower circuits.

6 amp pull cords.

The pull cords for the lights will be 6 amp single pole. These may be available as 10 amp also, which are fine. The switches only need to be one way (if one switch per room). 2 way switches would also do.

For the fan, if it's switched separately from the light, I would suggest a double pole 16 amp pull switch with optional neon indicator. Is there a neutral at the fan switch?

Thanks.

So the 6A would be okay for the fans?

Not decided on the fans yet, so no idea on their power - still looking.

Sponsored Links
If the fan is to be totally seperate, I recommend a double pole switch. This means it will isolate both the live and neutral for maintenance. These tend to be rated at 16 amp. It would only need to be rated at 6 amp in truth.

A 6 amp single pole (isolates only live) would work on a fan, yet double pole isolation is more desirable.

Bathrooms fans are typically connected to the lighting circuit.

A timer fan activated by turning the light on is another alternative.

The fan in the windowless room should be triggered automatically everytime the room is used.

You could also use a triple pole pull cord for timer fans.

most 6A pull switches are unsuitable for isolation as there is no mechanical indication of on/off status.

40A shower switches have a little flag to show whether the switch is open or closed.

Have seen the BG ones in a wholesaler. Know they have a 10 year g'tee, but think the switch action is clunkier.

But fair point, half the price.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back