Confusing Duravit wall mounting pan instructions?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm about ready to fit a Duravit wall hanging toilet pan to a Geberit frame and have just been reading the supplied Duravit instructions. I say "reading", but as usual, it's a a series of diagrams in an attempt to be multi-lingual. I hate these, although Vaillant seem to go in the opposite direction and provide instructions in every conceivable language, producing lots of waste paper!

I digress! So, looking at the Duravit instructions, I found it rather confusing working out what was going on from the supplied diagrams and wish they provided supporting descriptions.

Here is the installation sheet that came with the toilet pan:

So, Box 2 shows a measurement, "Y" needs to be taken and this is the distance from the point at which the threaded support bars meet the pan support, to the back of the pan. It therefore reflects how far out from the wall the bars must protrude. However, Box 3, shows "Y - 22" i.e. reduce this amount by 22mm. For some time, this confused me, why would the protrusion of the bars be reduced? I then read on and got even more confused as the next couple of boxes show the addition of a gasket and the measurements "Z + Y + 22", where Z is the thickness of the gasket and Y is the measurement from box 2. It would seem there is a contradiction between the diagram in Box 3, which says "subtract 22" and the diagram in Box 5, which says "add 22". Or is there? After lots of study, I then realised there is a substantial difference between Box 3 and Box 5. Box 5 includes the "guides" that are screwed onto the end of the supporting bars. This wasn't obvious to me for a long time, so I'm assuming that in diagram 3, the subtraction of 22 is to accommodate the additional length of the "guide" when it is added to the bar? In Box 5, the 22 includes the additional length of the "guide" that has already been included.

They really should make it clearer that the "guides" are being screwed onto the bars in box 4, which to me, looked like only the gasket was being introduced, especially as the gasket it optional and doesn't come with the toilet pan!

Is it just me that is confused by these installation instructions? Am I understanding them correctly?

Sponsored Links
I'm assuming that in diagram 3, the subtraction of 22 is to accommodate the additional length of the "guide" when it is added to the bar? In Box 5, the 22 includes the additional length of the "guide" that has already been included.

Yep - You have understood correctly and you are the first person in history to read the instructions.

Yep - You have understood correctly and you are the first person in history to read the instructions.
I thought men always read the instructions and it was only women that stumbled forward without bothering? Or have I got that the wrong way around? :)

Edit: A bit of googling suggests men don't read instructions, so I'm the odd one out. However, in my defence, I've always been a "Completer Finisher".

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back