Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Im an electrician trying to connect Hive to my Baxi solo 2PF boiler but the hive diagrams dont match the available terminals and I dont understand enough about boilers to chance guessing at it and frying the mother board.

Please help! (Diagrams and boiler terminals attatched)

Attachments

• 785c731e77e5cf8dfc620cccfe259429.png
    785c731e77e5cf8dfc620cccfe259429.png
    388.6 KB · Views: 36
  • Screenshot_20240216_214304_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240216_214304_Gallery.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 31
Sponsored Links
The Hive wouldn’t get wired at the boiler. You need the dual channel Hive, wire it in at the wiring center or swap on the backplate of existing programmer. What system do you have?

As @CBW says, the Hive should be connected elsewhere.

However, as an electrician, I hope you will be tidying up those existing connections.
There is a good deal of bare wire and loose strands showing, the cables should have cable grips, and the blue wire used as the pumps switched live should be oversleeved in brown, as a minimum.
Hopefully the pump will be provided with a suitable earth connection from the wiring centre, because it isn't getting one from that cable!
Screenshot_20240216-235637_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Thanks for the replies guys, there were 2 x 3 cores in the wall at the existing stat in the adjacent utility room, which was melted by by an air fryer accident. I stripped the stat off and and connector blocked them to provide a basic live neutral and Earth in my boiler cupboard which Ive fitted a fused spur to. Could that have been your wiring centre?

I should point out that the connections in the photo I also completely removed, they were joined to the exisiting stat system in the adjacent utility room via a mash of connector blocks and a half arsed bashed up stat back plate, the core grips I removed for clarity.

Is there another component of this boiler in the house im not aware off?

My thinking was (which im thinking now may have been wrong) was that I could connect Hive to this boiler in the boiler cupboard coming off of a basic live neutral and earth and using the wireless hive stats provided, is this possible?

Horrific air fryer acccident attatched.

Attachments

• IMG-20240214-WA0000.jpg
    IMG-20240214-WA0000.jpg
    131.1 KB · Views: 14
Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies guys, there were 2 x 3 cores in the wall at the existing stat in the adjacent utility room, which was melted by by an air fryer accident. I stripped the stat off and and connector blocked them to provide a basic live neutral and Earth in my boiler cupboard which Ive fitted a fused spur to. Could that have been your wiring centre?

I should point out that the connections in the photo I also completely removed, they were joined to the exisiting stat system in the adjacent utility room via a mash of connector blocks and a half arsed bashed up stat back plate, the core grips I removed for clarity.

Is there another component of this boiler in the house im not aware off?

My thinking was (which im thinking now may have been wrong) was that I could connect Hive to this boiler in the boiler cupboard coming off of a basic live neutral and earth and using the wireless hive stats provided, is this possible?

Horrific air fryer acccident attatched.
That doesn’t look like a programmable thermostat, so I’d say likely that was just the 2 channel programmer, and no it’s not the wiring center. You should have behind that L N E and 2 or 3 switch wires. 2 switch wires if S plan or 3 if Y plan.

So in the apparent absence of a wiring centre, having just my supply L and N at boiler, the only wired component being the hive piece, is this hive version incompatible with this boiler or can you advise of the terminations that would get this to work?

All your help and input so far is appreciated!

So in the apparent absence of a wiring centre
This sounds very much like it could have been your wiring centre...
they were joined to the exisiting stat system in the adjacent utility room via a mash of connector blocks and a half arsed bashed up stat back plate
You may wish to find your valves - let us know if they are 2 port, or a 3 port.

And then get studying...

• Thanks
is this hive version incompatible with this boiler or can you advise of the terminations that would get this to work?
Your Hive version is compatible with your boiler - the concept you seem to be overlooking, is the importance of the valves.
In boilers that aren't combis, it's the valves that are controlled by the programmer and thermostat; then in turn, the valves supply the switched live to the boiler.
The Hive won't be directly connected to the boilers switched live.

• Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back