Connect PIR to exing garage 2 way switching

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good morning

I have a single gang 2 way switching setup in my garage (see image). I want to replace the light switch near the garage door with a PIR as the light in the Glideraol control box has failed and can't be replaced.

Any guidance as to how to make the wiring change would be much appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_1875.jpg
    IMG_1875.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 34
Sponsored Links
I should have included the following.

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2024-02-06 at 15.01.31_a2afc156.jpg
    WhatsApp Image 2024-02-06 at 15.01.31_a2afc156.jpg
    143.9 KB · Views: 32
  • WhatsApp Image 2024-02-06 at 15.05.04_9e853756.jpg
    WhatsApp Image 2024-02-06 at 15.05.04_9e853756.jpg
    7.7 KB · Views: 31
You cannot have a PIR as part of two-way switching because it is only a one-way switch.

Do you want to do away with the other switch or have it as an override - either on or off - to the PIR?

Sponsored Links
I am sure today there is some smart device that will allow a PIR to trigger some relay to switch on, however can't really see how you would then turn it off?

In the main out door PIR's have a multi detection system and timer, they detect light levels, altering inferred inputs, and have a timer. The latter is the problem, and is why I did away with PIR's in my own property.

So yes we have PIR's without the multi function which we use for intruder alarms, and I use a smart relay on my landing light which will allow me to include voice and phone with the two way system, and allow timers to switch it on or off. Many of my smart devices will allow the use of a count down timer, however what we need to know is what are you trying to archive?

I have an outside light on a PIR which is also controlled with a smart switch that does not require a neutral, however on switching on the light is triggered for a short time, and the smart switch has to be battery powered or the PIR would mess it up.

So your aim is the first thing, my aim was for a outside light, not triggered by wild life, or any central heating flues, which I can switch on before leaving the car, and can switch off with ease once I am inside the house, which will not switch off when I am half way to house with hands full of shopping so can't get to my phone and use its built in torch. Since a badger is just as likely to set of a PIR to a human, I abandoned the idea of PIR's for most outside lights. In last house did not see that much wild life, so PIR's worked better.

If one lives in Llandudno you may want the intruder alarm to pick up wide life, 1707392580195.png picture shows goat which has invaded a guest house. Since Colvid it seems they have become a problem. So explain what you want, rather than jumping in half way through the project, there may be an easy way to do what you want.

You cannot have a PIR as part of two-way switching because it is only a one-way switch.

Do you want to do away with the other switch or have it as an override - either on or off - to the PIR?
The other switch could possibly be done away with as hopefully, the PIR will pick up motion when someone enters the back door. Alternatively, if possible, the second switch could be modified just to be a simple on/off. My original thought was to have an Alexa-activated switch as the garage door end but a friend suggested a PIR would do the same job and not need any intervention, the garage light would come on automatically when the garage door opens and go off with the inbuilt PIR timer.

Right, in simple terms I want to have the main garage light turn on when the garage door opens as the courtesy light in the control panel is broken and cannot be replaced. The rear entrance to the garage could be a simple on/off switch as the PIR would control the light from the front, even better if the PIR could detect movement at the rear door the second light switch would then be redundant. As I have stated elsewhere my original thought was to have an Alexa-controlled light switch but a friend suggested a PIR as this wouldn't need any intervention.
I need the light on in the garage during the dark as I back my car in and need to be able to see around me.

Why not just connect a PIR to the existing set up to see how it works first?

You say that you want the light to come on when you back the car in - but will it come on soon enough for you to see around you?

Why not just connect a PIR to the existing set up to see how it works first?

You say that you want the light to come on when you back the car in - but will it come on soon enough for you to see around you?
I open the door with a remote as I pull onto the drive so hopefully the light will be on as I back into the garage.

If the PIR is powered by battery or connection to neutral you could have two in parallel, but if the PIR gets its power by allowing a small amount to flow through the bulb, you can only have one.

Not if the PIR is in the garage, it won't.

PIRs work by recognising heat crossing their field of vision.
Good point, I know in one house the PIR only worked if I drove in forwards, if I reversed in it did not work, I would think the reverse would be true for a rear engined car, and would completely fail with an EV.

The PIR you show does not seem to have a neutral connected, so can't run two in parallel.

Of course you can, just wire the pir across L & SL which will leave the 2 way switching in place

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back