Connecting a ceramic hob

Sponsored Links
although i think i already know the answer, ill ask anyway. :confused:

Did you receive any paperwork from the electrician ?

not yet but we will cos the work is still unfinished and he is a good friend to my partners family, although that can mean absolutely nothing in life I know he is fairly high up in local authority and has all the necesary paperwork to be able to sign us off propperly

i assume that the new sockets that the elctrician installed are not yet powered up and waiting until such time that he comes back to install your new consumer unit.

Sponsored Links
View media item 16781
View media item 16782
View media item 16783
View media item 16784
I've linked to the pics in your album to make it a bit easier. That fusebox looks in a sorry state and could really do with replacing now. You have no RCD protection which you must have due to the installation of new sockets. Why has the spark not installed this? Has he mentioned about the need for a new CU or requirements for RCD protection? :confused:

As for the cooker circuit. Don't think that it looks like 6mm² on that circuit. It could be 4mm² but I wouldn't be connecting anything to that circuit until I made sure exactly what size fuse it was protected by and what size the cable was. A circuit protected with a 30A fuse, using 4mm² should be up to the job for what you require though.

While you may be in luck with being able to use that cooker point, you should really look at getting the fusebox replaced now and a PIR completed on the existing installation while changing the CU. And those new sockets must be protected by an RCD.

OOI - what does the fuse to the right of the main switch do? Anyone know why it is out on its own?

The Wylex Standard was normally rated to max 30A per circuit. the large fuseholder to the side is intended for a larger rating, usually for a cooker. The higher-rated fuseholders were made bigger so that they would not fit into the ordinary positions as a precaution against them being put in a 30A max position.

It will be interesting to see the completion cert. particularly the sections regarding RCD protection for socket outlets and buried cables.

Sorry its taken so long to get back to you guys but been really busy at work, basically im told that we have 2 sockets behind the cooker and if im right in remembeing one size is bigger than the other and has enough to power 6 kw to the hob and te other enough to power the single oven.

One thing im not sure on is if the socket with the red switch is staying the same or whether its a double socket, I cant remember.

The hob all being well should be in one night next week followed by new spotlights and a new consumer unit which I think he said was 17th edition or something.

One thing is for certain, if im not happy with everything then he wont be getting paid.

Thanks for all the help chaps its much appreciated and I would like to think my mind is at rest but it is not fully :)

The hob all being well should be in one night next week followed by new spotlights and a new consumer unit which I think he said was 17th edition or something.
That is being done in the wrong order. The new consumer unit should go in first, and the new circuits connected to it.
You can't connect the new circuits to that old fusebox, as it has no RCD.

None of the new sockets are turned on yet, we only have the older sockets which have had new fronts on and the hob the same, were just going to have to do without it for a couple of days which should be no problem

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back