Connecting basin waste to cast iron pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an old cast iron waste pipe, and need to cut it so I can replace my bathroom basin. Can I just use plastic compression fittings to couple plastic pipe with cast iron? The iron pipe looks more like 40mm rather than 32mm.

Sponsored Links
Yes, I’ve used these successfully in the past. Just make sure it’s clean, free from grease debris etc.

Waste pipes wont be cast iron. Choices would be, copper, mild steel, or lead, but Compression Waste fitting should be ample to make a connection. Just be careful if cutting lead, it may collapse out of shape if you're too heavy handed.

Waste pipes wont be cast iron. Choices would be, copper, mild steel, or lead, but Compression Waste fitting should be ample to make a connection. Just be careful if cutting lead, it may collapse out of shape if you're too heavy handed.
I have to disagree on this one. My 1965 house was CI soil pipe and the 2 branches for basin and bath were 2¼" (external diameter) CI, final piece to trap being brass compression fittings and copper pipe.
Verry unexpected.

Sponsored Links
Technically the 'waste pipe' was the copper and the 2 1/4" CI branch was classed as part of the stack. The CI stack and branches were hemp and lead soldered together so were then considered all the same pipe. The transition to copper would then be classed as the waste pipe which is now 32mm/40mm plastic.
That being said some of the older basin s traps were purely formed lead with a wiped joint straight into the cast, Ive got one of them sitting outside just now in the scrap pile.

Technically the 'waste pipe' was the copper and the 2 1/4" CI branch was classed as part of the stack. The CI stack and branches were hemp and lead soldered together so were then considered all the same pipe. The transition to copper would then be classed as the waste pipe which is now 32mm/40mm plastic.
That being said some of the older basin s traps were purely formed lead with a wiped joint straight into the cast, Ive got one of them sitting outside just now in the scrap pile.
If the smaller sections didn't meander around I'd have happily agreed, the basin was 2x 3ft lengths a short bit and 2 elbows, bath was a 6ft length, 4 short bits and 3 elbows.
Both ran into branch tees in a horizontal section of the 4" foul, is it still called the stack if horizontal?

All of the wastes in our 1951 house were lead as you describe, albeit all ran into hopper heads or gullies.

That's a good question, I was always told and it was always described that any part of the cast iron pipework whether it be the main stack or the toilet soil pipe or smaller permanently connected CI branches feeding into it as part of the stack. Any smaller non cast 'moveable' internal pipework was then called the waste run.

That's a good question, I was always told and it was always described that any part of the cast iron pipework whether it be the main stack or the toilet soil pipe or smaller permanently connected CI branches feeding into it as part of the stack. Any smaller non cast 'moveable' internal pipework was then called the waste run.
One of the 1930's office buildings I worked in was exclusively CI in the toilets.
Pans fed direcly into CI collars (smaller than 4") as did the brass U-bends into a smaller size.
Accordingly there were no waste or soil pipes, just a stack?

Soil pipes were always classed differently due to what they carried, grey water with matter in it, waste water was anything not from the toilet. With the old CI designs we were always taught that the feeds into the vertical stack were called branches and the waste pipes were usually only small connecting pipes (11/2" usually) that joined the traps to the branches.

When regs, materials and designs changed then actual waste pipes (pipes connecting waste traps to the soil pipe) became longer and were then used to connect traps directly to the soil pipe/stack so branches were no longer needed. TBH though waste pipes are used too handle too much these days and become an endless array of blocked and restricted pipework. This is usually because they are too small to handle the volumes or distances they are being asked to cope with and that's usually due to bad planning/setting out/workmanship.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back