Connecting the pole back into the house

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All.

We just had an extension done, and due to the nature of the works the cable from the pole was detached from the house, now we are at the stage where it can now be added back.

Before the works, below is a summary of the setup.

From the pole there is a black twisted copper cable attahed to the fascia board of the house, thesame cable goes into one of the rooms with a BT branded box, from the BT wall box, there are 2 extensions that go downstairs, one for a phone socket and the other for my broadband socket.

I took some photos of the box just before the cable got detaached from the wall.

WhatsApp Image 2020-04-18 at 12.22.22 (1).jpeg

There are 3 cables here, one would be from the pole, and the other 2 are the extensions which terminate downstairs.

WhatsApp Image 2020-04-18 at 12.22.22.jpeg

The plan today.

Now I want to imitate thesame setup above, but things are a little different now. Prior to the works, the twisted copper cable goes into a room (its one of the 3 cables shown above), now with the extension which now has a roof at a raised level, the connections will now go into the loft. So the BT box can now be in the loft, and a new cable can be dropped from the BT box/loft location to where I intend to have the modem/telephone.

I want to have 2 sockets coming off the main BT box in the loft, one for a phone and 1 for broadband, should I extend the broadband one first from the loft, and then run another extension from the broadband point, or run 2 seperate extensions from the BT box in the loft onto the 2 locations.

I am also not familiar with how to connect it, the colour codes etc. Any guidance will be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Who disconnected it?
The pole - and the cables coming off of it are AFAIK the property of BT and your interference with it could get you in deep doodoo with them.

In your photos I cannot see any black drop cable?

Who disconnected it?
I dont think this matters now, I have explained on the picture below.

The pole - and the cables coming off of it are AFAIK the property of BT and your interference with it could get you in deep doodoo with them.
I only disconnected my cable as the fascia board on the dormer it was hanging off got demolished.

The cable is black on the outside, however on the inside this is what I see, I am confident one of the cable is the one coming from the telegraph pole, maybe the black body rubber got removed etc, could be that the black coating it to prevent it from the elements when its outside, but inside it is just your normal copper cable.

upload_2020-4-18_15-36-13.png

Who disconnected it?

Any guidance will be appreciated.

What did you do with the end of the cable that you removed before the dormer was removed ?

The regulations about overhead cables and safety are strict, especially when the cable crosses the highway or a public footpath.

You should have notified the phone company before the work was started.

Sponsored Links
should I extend the broadband one first from the loft, and then run another extension from the broadband point, or run 2 seperate extensions from the BT box in the loft onto the 2 locations.

Either way is fine, whichever simplifies the cable route. You might need to buy some 8B jelly crimps, like those in your first picture, to have it star wired(like you had before) rather than daisy chained.

The other end of the cable was just tied to my scaffold temporarily, normally what happens is that it has a hook which gets screwed onto the fasia board timber/wall etc, ensuring that its not sagging and very tight. What I saw everyone else doing was just taking it off and connecting it back when thier works are done. In my case, the cable only crosses the footpath.

Thanks in advance.

What did you do with the end of the cable that you removed before the dormer was removed ?

The regulations about overhead cables and safety are strict, especially when the cable crosses the highway or a public footpath.

You should have notified the phone company before the work was started.

Either way is fine, whichever simplifies the cable route. You might need to buy some 8B jelly crimps, like those in your first picture, to have it star wired(like you had before) rather than daisy chained.

I can get those crimps, but please an explanation would be fantastic or a sketch of how I should connect it. I say this because the tenure of my scaffold is up, and the only reason why it hasn't been taken off is because of Covid 19, so whatever I can get done whilst its still here, I am trying to complete as I do not like working on ladders.

Thanks in advance.

so whatever I can get done whilst its still here,

Have you still got the old hook and dropwire clamp then to re-use? You can at least get the cable into the loft then and you don't need the scaffold any more, unless you are running the extension cables down the outside out the house?

The incoming cable should go direct to the the master socket ( OpenReach Property )

Install one twisted pair cable from the un-filtered terminals to the socket for the router/ modem ( Broadband ADSL )

Install another twisted pair cable from the filtered terminals to the telephone socket(s) around the house.

The filter removes the ADSL signal from the telephone wiring

The pair carrying the ADSL signal from the incoming cable to the router should be direct and have no spurs connected to it.

Spurs ( or stubs ) degrade the ADSL signals, especially when a spur feeds a socket with nothing plugged into the socket.

Some of the ADSL signal from the incoming line travels along the spur and, with no load at the end of the spur much of that signal reflects back to the direct route and this reflected signal arrives at the router slightly later than the main signal. The router "hears" the ADSL signal but also with an echo. The echo degrades the recovered data.

Read more: https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/telephone-cabling-for-internet.516362/#ixzz6JyeqK78m

Have you still got the old hook and dropwire clamp then to re-use? You can at least get the cable into the loft then and you don't need the scaffold any more, unless you are running the extension cables down the outside out the house?
Yes, I still have those 2 things intact from when it was taken off the old dormer, I just need to adjustt it as now the building has extended outwards by say 400mm, so the dropwire clamp needs to be adjusted, a small hole in the soffit and then screw the hook on the timber holding the fascia, then the rest I can deal with inside the loft, that is the openreach box and further extensions.

Is this the correct approach ?

Is this the correct approach ?

Yes.

To add to bernard's post, get yourself an NTE5C Mk4 VDSL plate to go in the loft as the master. This has dedicated terminals for all three cables, you won't need jelly crimps and it will be easier to understand wiring it all up.

Extension cable should be CW1308 for indoor wiring, CW1308B for outdoors.

The incoming cable should go direct to the the master socket ( OpenReach Property )

Install one twisted pair cable from the un-filtered terminals to the socket for the router/ modem ( Broadband ADSL )

Install another twisted pair cable from the filtered terminals to the telephone socket(s) around the house.

The filter removes the ADSL signal from the telephone wiring

The pair carrying the ADSL signal from the incoming cable to the router should be direct and have no spurs connected to it.

Spurs ( or stubs ) degrade the ADSL signals, especially when a spur feeds a socket with nothing plugged into the socket.

Some of the ADSL signal from the incoming line travels along the spur and, with no load at the end of the spur much of that signal reflects back to the direct route and this reflected signal arrives at the router slightly later than the main signal. The router "hears" the ADSL signal but also with an echo. The echo degrades the recovered data.

Read more: https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/telephone-cabling-for-internet.516362/#ixzz6JyeqK78m

Fantastic, thanks very much for this. I will order a BT Master Socket NTE5C + VDSL MK4 socket, my only concern now is this.

Its much easier for me to run a cable end to end, rather than a cable with a male socket connection which is what the BT socket allows for.

a cable with a male socket connection which is what the BT socket allows for.

I don't fully understand what you mean by this? The master socket in the loft will have nothing at all plugged into the front of it. You just run cable from a drum with no connectors on the end.

Yes.

To add to bernard's post, get yourself an NTE5C Mk4 VDSL plate to go in the loft as the master. This has dedicated terminals for all three cables, you won't need jelly crimps and it will be easier to understand wiring it all up.

Extension cable should be CW1308 for indoor wiring, CW1308B for outdoors.

Ok, I will order this, but before I do. I have a question for you.

with this box, can i run a cable directly from the box directly without using the female socket hole especially for the broadband.

For the phone, what I will probably want to do is run a spur or 2 directly from the master BT box (BT Master Socket NTE5C + VDSL MK4)

I say this because its easier to put a single CW1308 cable through timber than one with a male plug attached to it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back