Connection to existing Switched Fused Outlet

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As a NON qualified electrician - but with electronic training - would I be able to install a 3kW over sink water heater to replace an old unit??? The Switched Fused Outlet is existing, so all that is needed is to remove the old flex and replace with the new.

Sponsored Links
If the new unit has the same power consumption as the old unit (or less of course) & the existing fixed wiring is sufficient for that load, then yes.

As a NON qualified electrician - but with electronic training - would I be able to install a 3kW over sink water heater to replace an old unit??? The Switched Fused Outlet is existing, so all that is needed is to remove the old flex and replace with the new.
Is it on its own circuit?
I haven't my red book to hand but I think there's a reg that says anything over 2kw has to be on its own circuit.

Theres no diversity allowed on water heaters so your 3kw comes out at just a little over 13Amps.

Sponsored Links
Yes, this is on a seperate breaker.

As I said in the first post, this is an existing unit which has gone faulty. All I intend doing is to change out the unit to the SFO - I could even remove the flex from the water heater end and replace the existing flex into the new unit!!

Power rating is the same for both units.

As I said in the first post, this is an existing unit which has gone faulty. All I intend doing is to change out the unit to the SFO - I could even remove the flex from the water heater end and replace the existing flex into the new unit!!

Power rating is the same for both units.

Then just follow manufacturers instructions.

Depending on how old the installation is, if you fit new brown/blue flex to a red/black installation you're supposed to put a little sticker on the CU.

Depending on how old the installation is, if you fit new brown/blue flex to a red/black installation you're supposed to put a little sticker on the CU.

Not really as that would apply to any homeowner replacing a simple light fitting with one with harmonised coloured wiring.
And the stickers only refer to the 'wiring of this installation' which refers to the fixed wiring.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back