Electrical outlets

CBW

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning all,

I have found certain answers via the forum, but couldn’t work something out.

I live in a 2009/2010 built property. I need to replace my washing machine, but don’t want to invalidate the warranty. The existing fused flex outlet is connected to a 4 gang switch plate. Can I just replace the plate outlet with unswitched, or would it need to incorporate a fuse? Thanks

Sponsored Links
from your description it implies that the w/m is hard wired ie no plug so a fused connection unit would be required or a normal socket and just plug the new mchine in as there will be a fuse in the plug

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Sorry, I’ve just re-read what I’ve put. Existing w/m is hard wired, because the fused flex outlet plate is there, not a socket. So the new one states the plug can’t be modified, etc and I don’t want them to have an excuse for warranty breach, or so you think I can just hard wire new one in?

This is the existing one

Attachments

• D378E1F8-AC6D-4823-B3C5-FD676DCA7CFC.jpeg
    D378E1F8-AC6D-4823-B3C5-FD676DCA7CFC.jpeg
    40.7 KB · Views: 79
Sponsored Links
Is the flex coming out of the bottom? (Is the picture rotated?)

Change the FCU for a socket and plug new washer into it.

• Thanks
from your description it implies that the w/m is hard wired ie no plug so a fused connection unit would be required or a normal socket and just plug the new mchine in as there will be a fuse in the plug

But keep in mind, that a 13amp socket plus a plug will stick out from the wall further - it may force the machine to be further out.

you won't, even if you cut the plug off.
No, of course not. But it doesn't stop the hassle caused by the service engineer refusing to touch it when you have an in-warranty fault.

Last edited:
  • Thanks
As said it is usually done like this, to create more room at the back of the WM, for it to go back further.

Ideally a socket should be fitted to one side of the WM

• Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back