conscientious objector,s 11th hour

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
what should happen to people who refused to go to war or help the effort in anyway when the country is in its darkest hours, and the wounded and dying need anybodys help. :confused:

Sponsored Links
Having watched the programme last night, I think they more or less got it right. Some of those who didn't want to kill their fellow human beings but were otherwise happy to assist eg in the catering and medical side were allowed to do so, whilst others were imprisoned for their beliefs.

Although, there would have been a number of cowards and also those who were absolutely terrified of war, I would hate to think that anyone would get shot for their particular stance.

The one exception I would make was the guy who deliberately aimed the guns to miss the enemy so that they would have time to get away. Those same guys could and may have stayed put and killed any number of his fellow soldiers.

Why was the country in it's darkest hour :?: I believe that Great Britain declared war on Germany, not the other way around, same in WW2. So some ar*e declares war, then says come on guys get shot for King and Country, stuff that. If the same situation were to arise today I'd happily say I'm not going. Reason, it's very dangerous, I might get shot, seems reasonable to me. Most of the guys who enlisted thought they were going to support a noble cause, well I can't see anything noble about wallowing in filth for years getting shot at, sounds a bit sh*t to me.

2scoops0406, once its started and you are loosing or its stalemate its not so easy to withdraw and if all your mates go,you will be the one sent white feathers,like it or not ,
just look at the congo whose right in that little killing field.and who will help sort it out you ,me or armys

Sponsored Links
Pretty much agree bolo - for someone to stand up and say they aren't going to war knowing that they could be shot just for doing so takes a bit of bravery in its own way. But the guy who didn't tell anyone and basically went along with it purposefully missing the enemy is a coward and should have had the guts to at least tell his fellow soldiers he wasn't trying so they could watch their own back when they'd be otherwise assuming he was covering them.

I hope i never have to face the decision myself and i can't honestly say i know what i'd do. I'd be scared beyond belief and i'm not sure i could kill someone else but its difficult to make a decision when you don't have to. All a very s****y set of circumstances and we just have to be thankful those guys made the decision to that we don't have to today. Very, very brave men - including my grandad who was lucky enough to survive the war (otherwise i wouldn't be here!)

Do you really think all the foreigners in the UK would fight for the UK? Just tell them you're an immigrant.

Yeah, lied to dreadfully, and you expect someone to lay down their life for a bunch of liars, couldn't possibly happen today :(

Why was the country in it's darkest hour :?: I believe that Great Britain declared war on Germany, not the other way around, same in WW2. .

i think you better read your history books again

http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/worldwars/wwone/mirror01_01.shtml

http://www.eyewitnesstohistory.com/vocham.htm

Anyway, I'm now too old!! But no seriously I wouldn't enlist.

i know we declared war, i was talking about the darkest hour bit, especially in 1940

Sponsored Links
Back