Conservatory flat roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone

So I'm looking at sorting out my conservatory and after next door had a flat roof with a lantern fitted I plan at getting rid of the polycarbonate crap.

So size is roughly 4m x 4m
Glazed all around
mini cavity wall with brick & breeze blocks

My plan is as followed

One wall completely brick up (this is on the outside of my garden area so don't make sense having it a window?)
pillars added to each corner
all done with brick & breeze blocks
Then a flat roof with rooflights

I have done a quick sketchup of my idea just wondering if anyone can see any issues with it?
test.jpg
test1.jpg
test2.jpg

Sponsored Links
I know it's more expensive, but a larger single central pitched lantern would create a room that feels more spacious.

If you do a warm roof, by the time you've got joists, insulation over top and lantern upstand the reveals to the lantern usually end up being over 300mm and can make small roof lights feel a bit like letterboxes.

Unless you really need it, I would avoid brickwork above the doors. In any case, you would need 3 courses so you could fit standard catnip lintels.

If you want the brickwork at the front to act as a buttress it needs to be, probably 675mm wide (I think 3 bricks is ok for a 2.4m height - but others will confirm)

The roof overhang is a nice feature - done well it can look great and its practical as it keeps rain off the doors and windows.

I know it's more expensive, but a larger single central pitched lantern would create a room that feels more spacious.

If you do a warm roof, by the time you've got joists, insulation over top and lantern upstand the reveals to the lantern usually end up being over 300mm and can make small roof lights feel a bit like letterboxes.

Unless you really need it, I would avoid brickwork above the doors. In any case, you would need 3 courses so you could fit standard catnip lintels.

If you want the brickwork at the front to act as a buttress it needs to be, probably 675mm wide (I think 3 bricks is ok for a 2.4m height - but others will confirm)

The roof overhang is a nice feature - done well it can look great and its practical as it keeps rain off the doors and windows.

Cheers

Nothing is to scale in the sketchup..

Would I get away with no bricks above the door and window? I added it as support with the catnip lintel, if I can do away with them it would make it easier.
Yes going for warm roof the next door neighbours is a lantern I shall look into them

Scrap that I know how to get the support

Shorten the roof to stop above door then add a overhang extension part to it

What size timber will I need for the roof? thinking of 400 centres?

Sponsored Links
So I have now started this project installing the internal block work soon to be moving onto external brick work.

My issue is roof height internally.

The door is 2090mm high and from advice given here I was really hoping to not need a lintel above the door as it's span is 3m, but without adding a lintel my internal roof will be to low.

Any ideas how to increase the inner height without it looking wrong externally?

Looks like a very well-thought-through solution. I made life easy and got Leka to sort me out. Very pleased but it was a bit pricey at 6K ish

For one wall to be bricked up are the foundations deep enough .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back