Conservatory Light help needed.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a light/fan in the conservatory in which the bulb went.
I put a new bulb in ( actually an old one as I had no new ones at the time ) as I put it in it flashed and went straight out. Then I got a new bulb and nothing will work now. I checked the switch and all is OK from the switch to the light as I put a temporary live to the switch to make sure the light would work and it did.
I assume I have a broken supply to the switch, sadly it goes under a fitted wood floor so access is not good.
Any ideas ?.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
take the fan down and look in there.. may be that a live has come loose at the connection..
it it looks ok, check at the rest of the lights on that floor.. could be that it's come loose at the last light..

It is possible that the conservatory lights are powered from a fused spur,somewhere, and the fuse in it has blown.

Have a look both in the conservatory and in the room that leads to it
- it may be behind the curtains.

Sponsored Links
In that case Maxx470 needs to get a voltage indicator. test lamp or multimeter (NOT A NEON SCREWDRIVER) and check if there is any voltage on the wiring between live and neutral at the lamp/fan itself.

Then we can discount or include a fault at the fitting itself.

EDIT: BUT, if you read the OP, he has already checked and found the lamp works OK by connecting a "temporary live". I dread to think how that was done...

Thanks all,
It was a spur fuse hidden next to a socket behind a piece of furniture !.
I never knew it was even there.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back