'Conservatory' Refurb

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Backround

I bought my 2 bed house in December 2016 and have completely modernised the whole house - new carpets, radiators, kitchen floor, worktops.

Then it came to the conservatory which I had painted - the room basically went down to outside temperature in the winter. It had a poly carb roof and part blockwork, part glazed.

This is how it stood:

The Plan

After taking inspiration from @sh4d0w thread https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/operation-conservatory-modernisation.457524/ I made an application to building control for replacement of the roof to lightweight tiles and two velux windows. The inspector was happy that the existing structure would take the additional weight and specified 6x2 joists with two 4x2 doubled up for lintels. My dad was able to obtain 9x2 at a reduced price off site so they were used to save money. The roof would be insulated with 100mm celotex between the rafters and overboarded with 40mm celotex. The pitch of the roof would be 16 degrees, which is within the specs for the velux and tiles. This would obviously leave a void from where the old roof sat on the walls - this would be filled by a wooden frame, membrane and plyboard, with 100mm insulation between studs.

Additionally I planned to strip the internal render and replace with 25mm celotex and plasterboard.

All work would be done myself with dad helping, except for the roof structure.

Progress

Roof off:

I used a couple of joiners that my dad knows from site working, they constructed the roof and fascias:

Membrane, velux and tiles on:

Wooden frame on top of existing wall:

I also fitted a 70x70x8mm steel angle accross the roof supporting wall to stiffen up the 4x2 lintel. This wasn't required as a rectification, however the BC officer suggested it may be beneficial.

Roof insulation going in:

Internal render stripped off blockwork:

Wall insulation:

Current Position

Ceiling has been boarded and walls insulated, currently plasterboarding the walls.

The work so far has made such a difference in both temperature at night and also the sound level from outside.

Slowly getting there, but the brunt of the work has now been done. Current spend is c.£5,000, with the majority of that going on the windows and doors.

If anyone has any questions, give me a shout and I'll try and help.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
collosal job that and looking good..dont forget to show it when its finished
our conservatory had a cheapy low pitch polycarbonate roof as well and wouldnt let enough light through and made drumming noises when it rained.
we got a firm of pvc improvements who had done all our doors and windows to put on pyramid type top
it wont be warm in winter but we have a radiator in it...
i remember the "beast" winter...
cheers
geof

collosal job that and looking good..dont forget to show it when its finished
our conservatory had a cheapy low pitch polycarbonate roof as well and wouldnt let enough light through and made drumming noises when it rained.
we got a firm of pvc improvements who had done all our doors and windows to put on pyramid type top
it wont be warm in winter but we have a radiator in it...
i remember the "beast" winter...
cheers
geof

Cheers. I underestimated how much work was required, it's taking absolutely forever! But then I guess apart from the blockwork, it has been totally rebuilt!

Yeah that was another reason I've done it, the rain made a right racket on the polycarb.

Ceiling boarded and walls in progress.
20180915_173803.jpg
20180915_173649.jpg
20180915_173640.jpg
20180915_173622.jpg

Attachments

• 20180915_173822.jpg
    20180915_173822.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 276
Sponsored Links
Isn't 9 x 2 a lot heavier? Will the extra weight be an issue?

photographically speaking you will never ever not remember what this was like
its important to keep the records this way
glad you are making progress
cheers
geof

Plastering all done, taking a while to fully dry. Really impressed with plasterer's work.
20181107_160653.jpg
20181107_160632.jpg
20181107_160617.jpg

Last big job is to connect rainwater drainage to the existing pipework. Eventually uncovered the pipework coming off the house, it was under slabs, and then 8 inches of solid concrete just need to replace the uncovered section with a T piece, and then dig a trench for new pipework. An additional hitch was that the existing pipework is clay, new is plastic, so had to buy an adapter.

20181107_113551.jpg

Last big job is to connect rainwater drainage to the existing pipework. Eventually uncovered the pipework coming off the house, it was under slabs, and then 8 inches of solid concrete just need to replace the uncovered section with a T piece, and then dig a trench for new pipework. An additional hitch was that the existing pipework is clay, new is plastic, so had to buy an adapter.

View attachment 151774

you are getting on there...i suppose connecting to all underground stuff will present some surprises
why is the downpipe at an angle different to the old socket...i guess it has been unattached
the new fitting...is 22.5*? will it need some fiddling to get it to fit the vertical downpipe..

plaster work is going to take some time to dry...cant speed that up?

did santa get a kiss for all the good work?

cheers and best of luck
geof

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back