Dodgy brickwork?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sponsored Links
OMG was it square when you viewed it, but has gone out of square since you moved in?

Clearly the brickie couldnt be bothered to buy squints or they were on a long lead time for the angle.

It is possible to cut and glue them on site.

Your corner is often seen on garden walls and conservatories where the brickie 'styled it out'.

Dont forget it is the outside skin, which it connected by ties to the inside, there usnt a strength or damp issue.

Completely fine - there is a 2002 housing development near to us with the same styling. On houses that age (your bricks look modern metric ones?) it is as already said just the outer skin.

My house has similar on the front bay windows and that's been standing 71 years.

bay window.JPG

Sponsored Links
Whilst I can forgive the apathy in terms of reluctance to buy specials, the smudging is just too much.

3/10.

Completely fine - there is a 2002 housing development near to us with the same styling. On houses that age (your bricks look modern metric ones?) it is as already said just the outer skin.

My house has similar on the front bay windows and that's been standing 71 years.

View attachment 135766
Nice brickwork ...shame about the weed:unsure:

It's not bad but Google Streetview from 2008 has nicely blurred out the fact that two of the end bricks were cracked and the bottom two courses needed re-pointing!

Knowing the past owners' views on gardening, they probably thought it looked nice.

Clearly the brickie couldnt be bothered to buy squints or they were on a long lead time for the angle.

It is possible to cut and glue them on site.

Your corner is often seen on garden walls and conservatories where the brickie 'styled it out'.

Dont forget it is the outside skin, which it connected by ties to the inside, there usnt a strength or damp issue.
Thanks for the reply. Feel reassured.

View attachment 135766
Your house has bricks sticking outwards, mine has it going inwards. But glad that it is just the outer skin and other more recent houses are the same. Thanks

Hi.
The reason I asked about damp issues is that, that corner area forms the corner wall of the ensuite upstairs. When it is cold/foggy/snow outside then the wall gets really wet and drips of water. Infact the raked ceiling gets really wet as well. Could this be related to the brickwork.

Attachments

• 20180201_134025.jpg
    20180201_134025.jpg
    177.3 KB · Views: 299
Actually, if you enlarge the pictures, you can see how shoddy the pointing is. And the issues on the racked ceiling suggest there's no insulation above it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back