Conservatory Timber Roof Gutter Box

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

We are going to replace our polycarbonate conservatory roof with a timber construction for all the typical reasons that people change them.

What we understand from the various companies we have spoken to along with the research that we’ve done independently is that once the polycarbonate roof and bars are removed, a timber wall plate is to be added on top of the conservatory the whole way around. The part that noone seems to be able to give us clarity on is how this wall plate can be added on the side that meets the exterior wall of our bungalow.

A lot of the examples we have seen show the new timber ridge joining the exterior of the house with lead work meeting the timber. However, we are in a bungalow so with the low height of the bottom of the roof this wouldn't work and currently there is a gutter box between the conservatory and the house. This is the part that we seem to be unclear on how a wall plate / new rafters would fix on to this area as this will presumably be done in a different way to how the existing aluminium supports from the polycarbonate roof attach?

If anyone has any information or resources on this , then it would be greatly appreciated and I have attached some pictures which will hopefully help provide further information.

On a side point - as far as weight goes, is it likely the current gallows brackets would support the weight of the timber roof or would additional brackets need to be installed? (perhaps impossible to answer without calculating according to the weight of the new roof)

Many thanks

Attachments

• tempImageSbT5Kq.png
    tempImageSbT5Kq.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 46
  • tempImageSOoN5k.png
    tempImageSOoN5k.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 33
  • tempImagekACh5U.png
    tempImagekACh5U.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 36
  • tempImagenWVsPj.png
    tempImagenWVsPj.png
    2 MB · Views: 38
  • Screenshot 2023-12-27 at 19.05.31.png
    Screenshot 2023-12-27 at 19.05.31.png
    3.4 MB · Views: 44
  • Screenshot 2023-12-27 at 19.05.39.png
    Screenshot 2023-12-27 at 19.05.39.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 39
  • Screenshot 2023-12-27 at 19.05.49.png
    Screenshot 2023-12-27 at 19.05.49.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 42
  • Screenshot 2023-12-27 at 19.05.57.png
    Screenshot 2023-12-27 at 19.05.57.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 41
  • Screenshot 2023-12-27 at 19.06.06.png
    Screenshot 2023-12-27 at 19.06.06.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 37
Sponsored Links
Hi all,

We are going to replace our polycarbonate conservatory roof with a timber construction for all the typical reasons that people change them.
And you are still going to lose a stack of heat through the windows and be baked alive in the Summer, because they will remain. You will spend thousands to be mildly disappointed. Knocking connies down and re-building them as extensions is very popular at the moment. We are on our fourth in a row.
With regards to the box gutter arrangement - I have no idea how they expect to support a roof on fresh air, no. Perhaps they'll fix into the rafter ends, or summat. It's deffo one of the most common sources of roof leaks though.

The part that noone seems to be able to give us clarity on is how this wall plate can be added on the side that meets the exterior wall of our bungalow
It looks like you have a P shape conservatory with a very shallow pitch.

Personally I think you are right to be concerned as I can’t see how it would work.

Using a box gutter to run the conservatory roof under the bungalow roof line is quite common but it’s not great detailing and prone to leaks.

the new solid roof will be too heavy for the existing bracketed box gutter - which is only suitable for lightweight use.
I would also be concerned with the increased weight on what is a very shallow pitch - the new roof would rely on the Tie bars to stop spreading, not convinced that’s good.

Personally I wouldn’t do it unless the company quoting can provide detail drawings showing how it’s going to be done - don’t allow it to be ”just worked out by the installer once he starts”

I guess this needs building regs - I think these tiled roof conversions need them, not sure if the case if there’s a door to the house still

Sponsored Links
Those gallows brackets are not supporting anything, the box gutter is likely to be screwed through into the fascia at various points or if installed correctly screwed through into the ends of the rafters. Under the white cloaking trims under the gutter there will be a gap, the gap is usually for a self adhesive foil backed foam which insulates the cold aluminium to stop condensation and also to deaden the noise from rain, if those brackets were carrying the weight then they would have sunk into and bowed the plastic cloaking.

Across the tops of your window frames you will have whats called a 'ring beam' and it binds all the frames together, its a heavy aluminium extrusion, it will have upright bolt slid into a channel during assembly, the rafters bolt down onto these , the box gutter is a structural part of the roof and acts as ther ring beam thats against the house, if bolted to the house correctly 2 grown men could stand in the box gutter, I have plenty of times

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back