Construction of a wall with a floor area of 100 m2

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks,

I need advice for my master thesis regarding the construction of walls of one-storey buildings with a floor area of 100 m2.
There are only a few questions left, I can not answer myself (standard method, required manhours, # of workers needed). I would really appreciate it, if some of you guys would spend approx. 10 minutes on answering the open questions. Please dont hesitate to contact me!!

Many thanks in advance!!

BR,
Alex

Sponsored Links
Well this feels like a 'do your own homework' thread to me. Especially for a masters degree.

Well this feels like a 'do your own homework' thread to me. Especially for a masters degree.
The point is that I'm studying business studies and innovation. I have no engineering background and therefore need some advice from experts. My previous calculations are all based on assumptions, which is not very scientficic.

Show your working then or ask more targeted questions. I'm not a builder or architect but I know i'd be able to google some answers to those questions in five minutes flat.

Assumptions are a core part of the scientific method, but they have to be stated.

Sponsored Links
Among several other questions, these are the ones I can't answer myself:

- Who does usually decide about the construction method (e.g. bricks, wood, steel) to be applied in projects?
-->
1 Owner
2 Developer
3 Architect
4 Construction company
5 Public organisation/government
6 Other, please specify

- How many persons do you need on site to build the set of walls with your standard method (bricks, wood, pre-cast, steel, in-situ concrete, other)?

- How many days does it take you on average to build the walls of such one-storey buildings with a floor area of 100 m2 (excluding the foundation, slab and installing windows)?

- How many manhours does it take you to build a set of walls, based on your preferred method, for one-storey buildings with a floor area of 100 m2?
Manhours=hours x number of people involved; including idle-time)

- What percentage of these manhours is unproductive time, i.e. waiting times, fixing errors, searching for material and equipment, or similar?

- Please specify the average costs for one manhour.

Who do you think has to decide what the construction method will be for a property? I'll give you a hint, one person says yes to an option, other people might influence it or let you know what is or isn't allowed.

It also sounds like you need to choose your standard method.

All info available on Google .
Do you have a certain trustworthy homepage in mind?
"Google it" is appropriate when you have a basic understanding of a topic, since I'm a newbie, there is a lot of uncertainty..

Alex, please don't take this the wrong way, but just how long is a piece of string?

- Who does usually decide about the construction method (e.g. bricks, wood, steel) to be applied in projects?
The Owner/developer may well have their own preferences,but in general on commercial builds it's the architect who decides, based in part on the brief from the owner/developer, and often with additional input from both the structural engineer (engineering design of stressed components) and the quantity surveyor (outright cost). There is also a large amount of input from the local council (planning restrictions, zoning, etc) and statutory regulations must also be observed. Finally amendments may well be required when the building contractor comes on board (he/she can make recommendations to improve speed/cost of build) and there are inevitably variances during the build brought about by details which the architect may not have designed fully

- How many persons do you need on site to build the set of walls with your standard method (bricks, wood, pre-cast, steel, in-situ concrete, other)?
This is the how long is a piece of string..... For a commercial building you'd also need to consider steel framing with cladding (this is often combined with masonry at the bottoms of the walls, primarily for security/durability). These days there are alternative materials such as straw bale, SIPS, masonry cladding over timber frame, etc to consider not to mention pre-manufactured timber framing. Each has it's own labour/skill level attached and the number of people required on site to build any walls is influenced by factors such as the build schedule, interaction with other trades, etc. Each project can be very different

- How many persons do you- How many days does it take you on average to build the walls of such one-storey buildings with a floor area of 100 m2 (excluding the foundation, slab and installing windows)?
What type of wall is it, how tall is the wall, will the wall surface be curtain walling or structural ? (in which case what loading is it going to carry?) The height also impacts on other costs in the build; for example a steel-framed portal building can be assembled without scaffolding, but using cherry pickers/scissorlifts for access at height whereas a timber framed building or anything with masonry cladding will require scaffolding to be erected (sometimes portable towers, sometimes system scaffolding). All this impacts on the time and cost of a project

In terms of labour, also note that most trades work as 2-man or 2 + 1 man teams. This is often not only more efficient than employing individual tradesmen, but in some cases (e.g. working at height, in harnesses, etc) can be a legal requirement

Without knowing in much greater detail it is impossible to give you the figures you are seeking. The best I can do is to point you towards the Quantity Surveyor's "pricing bible", Spon's, which quantifies many of the items you are interested in, however there Spon's is a sort of "best guess" as building materials and methods are constantly changing

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds more like a multiple choice test than a masters thesis? For mine (degree) I had to make my own proposals, do the research then test and come to my own conclusions at the end.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back