Consumer unit breakers

Status
Not open for further replies.
What size cable do I need to get my electrician
You don't. No electrician will have any interest in trying to butcher that grotty old CU for you. Throw it away, get an electrician, let him supply the materials.

and how would they split the top neutral bar ?
See above about the reality of that.

FYI - the fact that you think it would need to be split is just another example, to add to all the others, of your insufficient knowledge.

Sponsored Links
What size cable do I need to get my electrician and how would they split the top neutral bar ?
Your electrician will know what cable is required and will probably be able to get it more cheaply than you can. (S)he will also know what needs splittng, and how to do it (clue - not the neutral bar, in the original CU you showed us).

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
for 1 main switch and 2 RCD's then With the correct blue links, only two neutral bars would be needed, a third bar would only be needed if you are opting for some additional non rcd circuits. or fitting Rcbo's

It is unlikely you would have the tool to terminate the ends to make the links and as others say, your better purchasing a new board

for 1 main switch and 2 RCD's then With the correct blue links, only two neutral bars would be needed, a third bar would only be needed if you are opting for some additional non rcd circuits. or fitting Rcbo's
Quite so - but as I was hinting, if someone who knew what they were doing did want to convert that single-RCD split-load board into a dual RCD one (with no non-RCD ways), then 'something" (but not a neutral bar) would need to be 'split'!

Kind Regards, John

Lets face it

Dave has been given a consumer unit and he is going to use it, if necessary altering the house to suit the consumer unit.

Far from it !

Found an empty no mcb dual rcd mk board which we can use my breakers on

Found ? Skip, ebay or reputable supplier.

Even more reason to believe Dave is determined to use those breakers and cobble up a system around them. I guess he will test them to ensure they will work should they ever be needed to operate.

Hint some second hand MCBs will appear to work in that they pass current but when there is a fault and cable melting current is flowing the MCB contacts do not open and the cable melts. So testing that they do work is necessary.

And the RCD will need testing as well.

Hint some second hand MCBs will appear to work in that they pass current but when there is a fault and cable melting current is flowing the MCB contacts do not open and the cable melts. So testing that they do work is necessary.
Far be it from me to appear to be taking his side, but second-hand MCBs are what anybody has when they buy a house where somebody else has already lived.

Far be it from me to appear to be taking his side, but second-hand MCBs are what anybody has when they buy a house where somebody else has already lived.
I was referring to MCBs that had been taken out of a house and passed on to someone to use in a different house.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back