Consumer unit breakers

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see no one else has yet mentioned that in 2 1\2 months the OP's fusebox will also not comply with regs due to being plastic.
Maybe - but, if so, the same is likely to be also true of many/most other people's CUs as well :) However, I think there's a little more time that you suggest. IIRC, Amd 3 will be published on 1st January, but will not 'come into force' until 1st July!

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
I see no one else has yet mentioned that in 2 1\2 months the OP's fusebox will also not comply with regs due to being plastic.

He may as well use his second hand one while he can then :p
Rather than waste money on a new one which will soon be out of date !

Sponsored Links
I have read that even plastic CUs which pass the 920°C hot wire test will not comply.

A test to show whether the item functions as it should.
As already pointed out, since the primary function of an MCB is to protect the circuit in the event of a fault or overload, merely checking that it "switches off" by operating the lever isn't really enough - it's only testing a secondary function.
Just checking that it disconnects when you manually operate the lever is not a functional check of a protective device.

So you might get an electrician to lie and be an accomplice to a criminal act by signing off your work. Or you could "just do it" without any notification which is also a criminal offence and (based on what you've been asking) probably unsafe.

I hate to be pedantic but I'm not entirely sure what you'd charge a home owner with, if they got an electrician to sign off their work? I guess it might be possible to charge the electrician with fraud under section 2 of the Fraud Act, 2006* but then they would not really be the accomplice. Also, I think if the home owner went solo they'd more likely be perused under civil law*.

* IANAL

I was once told that if defective workmanship resulted in injury then the person who installed it and the person who signed it of as being safe could be prosecuted for criminal negligence. Then then could be civil action to recover losses. For example the injured person being unable to work and needing to recover lost income.

When a corporation can be charged with corporate manslaughter after a death caused by a workman being negligent then I guess a house owner who bodges his electrics could be charged if injury or death results from the installations defects.

Any claim on the household insurance would be declined if there was any hint of incorrect work and / or bogus certification.

View media item 83889Current setup
From left is
Lights
Lights
Sockets garage
Cooker
Hob
you need to get a real sparks in ..one who is qualified and have him rewire you house !! that cooker and hob cct';s look like doubled up 2.5mm to me ..and the two reds on the lights looks a bit dodgy .. someone has done the cooker recently and poorly ..get it done by a professional ..the extra cost will be off set by you being alive next year !!!

On a different thread Dave wrote

Hi moved into a new house
On the consumer unit shower and immersion have been crossed out (they have been removed)
The breakers are now used for a cooker and hob

The cables are 2.5mm and wired as a ring for both
The cooker is 3.0kw and has a 20a breaker
The hob is 6.5kw and has a 30a breaker

Does this seem right ? I'm unsure how to work it out

Read more: //www.diynot.com/diy/threads/cooker-and-hob-rating.415129/#3220458#ixzz3GD5TbDwE

Nine pages already? This is one of those threads that I start to think someone it trolling, and/or they have multiple identities.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back