Consumer unit breakers

Status
Not open for further replies.
We MUST NOT support or encourage or facilitate any of his dangerously ignorant bumblings.

Maybe he will go ahead regardless, and not for one second consider that his abysmal ignorance should in any way be a bar to doing the work, but it MUST NOT be with any connivance from us.

The ONLY thing we should tell him is to get an electrician. Anything else would be a shamefully irresponsible dereliction of duty.

Sponsored Links
Didn't realize you were now a moderator Ban :LOL:

I take your point John, but you know he's going to go ahead anyway.

You could even argue he asked for advise and his questions weren't answered.

Hi John,

I didn't articulate the point very well. I wasn't really trying to argue that a more pragmatic way would be to answer the OPs questions. It was to suggest that BAS's "You're a f***ing d***" approach wasn't yielding results. Indeed, BAS has reiterated his font size 300 message three times and yet there's no sign of the OP changing tact. He's also just quoted another of his own posts, again suggesting that the message hasn't got through. I'm not sure why he keeps flogging a dead horse.

Many moons ago, I was a project manager and coming from a military background, I soon found the approach of "you do x, you do y, you do z, get on with it" tended to result in a response of "f*** off" from the people it was aimed at.* Indeed, at performance review time I got two objectives: "investigate alternative management styles to classic military" and "read a book on motivation theory". Fast forward 15 years and more than one person has pointed out that "you're very good at getting what you want." Clue: I learned and tried a different approach. It amazing how even a sightly differently worded request can yield such differing results:

"I need this doing now" == "f*** off"
"I have this really urgent job I need to get done. I don't know if you could fit this in in the next hour or so but it would really help me out" == "yeah, sure, I'll do it now in fact"

* I was young and naive

Sponsored Links
I take your point John, but you know he's going to go ahead anyway.
I do. That's why, in some situations, even if I feel that an OP is not really competent to do something, I take the pragmatic ('lesser of the evils') view, that, if the OP is clearly going to do it anyway, it's probably best if we do what we can to minimise risk/danger to the OP and those around him/her (and then, of course, attract the wrath of BAS).

However, as I said, I think this case is 'beyond that'. Whilst I accept that the OP is going to go ahead regardless of us, I feel that the potential dangers which would still exist even if we gave as much 'advice' as we could would be so great that (perhaps through 'cowardice'), I just wouldn't want to be associated with it. I might loose some sleep because, by not giving any advice, I had increased the risks to the OP, but I'd probably loose even more sleep if I 'became involved' in what would almost certainly be very iffy work. However, I accept that it's not a straightforward situation (even if BAS thinks it is).

Kind Regards, John

Hi John, I didn't articulate the point very well. I wasn't really trying to argue that a more pragmatic way would be to answer the OPs questions. It was to suggest that BAS's "You're a f***ing d***" approach wasn't yielding results. Indeed, BAS has reiterated his font size 300 message three times and yet there's no sign of the OP changing tact. He's also just quoted another of his own posts, again suggesting that the message hasn't got through. I'm not sure why he keeps flogging a dead horse.
Fair enough - yes, I did somewhat misunderstand what you were saying.

We all know that BAS's approach not only indicates a total absence of any 'people skills' but is also almost certainly counter-productive and hence probably usually ineffective. He has many very valid points to make, often points that OPs don't want to hear, and if he adopted a different style, it's probable that his words would far more likely to be heeded. As things are, most people will probably decide to ignore everything he writes just on the basis of his style/approach, without really bothering to pay much attention to what he has actually written. It's a pity - but many of us have told him this more times than we care to remember, yet he never does (probably never could) change.

Kind Regards, John

t was to suggest that BAS's "You're a f***ing d***" approach wasn't yielding results.
Nobody's approach has yielded results.

Indeed, BAS has reiterated his font size 300 message three times and yet there's no sign of the OP changing tact.
It isn't that size.

He's also just quoted another of his own posts, again suggesting that the message hasn't got through. I'm not sure why he keeps flogging a dead horse.
It was a reply to the preceding post.

Rewired my old house Passed installation check 1st time I've a fair idea what I'm doing Done consumer board in several my old garages
Fair enough - but, as a matter of interest, who answered all your questions when you were doing those jobs?

Kind Regards, John

So BAS, straight forward question, simple answer: What are you hoping to achieve with your posts?

We MUST NOT support or encourage or facilitate any of his dangerously ignorant bumblings.

Maybe he will go ahead regardless, and not for one second consider that his abysmal ignorance should in any way be a bar to doing the work, but it MUST NOT be with any connivance from us.

The ONLY thing we should tell him is to get an electrician. Anything else would be a shamefully irresponsible dereliction of duty.
Only in BAS world.

Basically, what you are saying is that unless he (or anyone else) is prepared to "do everything properly" then we should not point out any faults. I'm with John on this, sometimes you have to accept that something isn't going to be done right, but we may be able to influence someone so it's done "less badly". Lets take a hypothetical case - though it's probably not too far from this one :

Fred posts asking for advice on what cable size to use to connect up his new ACME Super Magneto induction hob, pointing out that it's OK as there's a spare 40A breaker in his board. It soon becomes clear that he is not competent to do the job at all and every one advises him to get an electrician.
He then come back and says it's OK, he's found a bit of cable, wired it up and it seems to work OK - but we figure out that it's (say) a bit of small T&E (say 1.0 or 1.5mm) - that would run one ring on a hob for a short time such as for his "does it work" test.

Do you :
a) Take the approach that we must not in any way say anything other than get an electrician - even though it's clear he is never going to do that.
or
b) Point out that it's a fire just waiting to happen.

I would go with b). Saying nothing would be failing in my duty of care. You seem to be saying that you'd let him find out the hard way rather than have any interaction other than "get an electrician". Presumably you'd sleep soundly even if you saw on the news a few days later that a family had died in a house fire caused by dodgy electrics to a new hob ? Presumably you'd also never consider whether you had had an opportunity to avoid those deaths happening ?

I guess this poem means nothing to you ?

I'd just like to point out a few things.

I hope you rewire your hob with 6mm cable.

Your garage socket circuit should be on a 32A mcb if a RING, (if the garage is part of the house, which I think it is)
otherwise if its a radial (no cable return to CU) a 16 or 20A MCB.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back