Consumer unit breakers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Starting a new topic will not make you more able.

Will you please, for the sake of your own safety and that of anybody else who enters the building, stop thinking that you have anywhere near enough competence to be doing this work AND GET AN ELECTRICIAN.

Sponsored Links
The cables are 2.5mm and wired as a ring for both
The cooker is 3.0kw and has a 20a breaker
The hob is 6.5kw and has a 30a breaker
Does this seem right ? I'm unsure how to work it out
Read more: //www.diynot.com/diy/threads/cooker-and-hob-
rating.415129/#3220458#ixzz3GD5TbDwE

Your point being ??

My point is that by asking those questions you make it very clear that you do not have even the most basic knowledge of how to install and test the electrical system in a house.
And do not try to excuse yourself by saying you asked because you were un-certain. If you had the barest minimum knowledge you would know for certain the answers without having to "work it out"

Sponsored Links
OK - I just thought it might be useful for you to see what advice a different set of people give you.

I have all the information I need thank you now :)
Yes, I think you do - which is not the information you think you need. I doubt that you will act on the information you have been given - which is that you appear to be well short of having the knowledge and skills to attempt the work, or even to recognise that your current installation appears to be substandard :rolleyes:

It's not opinion, but fact.

The picture of your consumer unit shows 2 circuits that are wired with the wrong cable size.
The information you provided about the cooker circuit confirms this.

The rest of the questions you have asked prove beyond doubt that you are in no way capable of replacing a consumer unit or selecting cables and protective devices.

While there is nothing wrong with asking questions, the problem in this instance is that you don't know the questions to ask.
Replacing a consumer unit is not a trivial or simple task, and involves knowing far more than could be obtained by asking random questions on a forum.

That's your opinion
It's everybody's opinion.

And you know it to be the truth, which is why you won't try another forum. Presumably you realise that even you won't be able to ignore the truth about your woefully insufficient competence when a different group of people tell you the same thing.

You would be an utter fool, and if you do not live alone a very irresponsible one as well, to ignore what everybody has been telling you and to go ahead with DIY electrical work.

Go on then, tell us what your going to do, and hopefully we can be sensible and point out the dangerous bits

That sounds like a piece of pragmatic advice. It's worth noting that this thread has now reached 10 pages and yet there's no sign of it getting anywhere.

Indeed, these threads pop up time and again and they all seem to go around in circles. One thing that I've learned in life, when your approach doesn't yield results, it's often a good idea to try a different approach...

That sounds like a piece of pragmatic advice. It's worth noting that this thread has now reached 10 pages and yet there's no sign of it getting anywhere. ... Indeed, these threads pop up time and again and they all seem to go around in circles. One thing that I've learned in life, when your approach doesn't yield results, it's often a good idea to try a different approach...
Despite the flak it often generates, I'm a great believer in giving pragmatic advice, when appropriate (even if it may be nothing better than 'the lesser of evils'), and I also agree that when one approach is not succeeding, then one should try an alternative.

However, in this particular situation, the OP's intent (and level of knowledge and competence) appears clear and I don't think (m)any of us feel that it it would be appropriate or responsible to specifically assist him, even though (in a 'pragmatic' sense) our not doing that might well increase the dangers for him. I suppose what I'm saying is that we could, in the name of pragmatism, give him some advice, but taht we feel that the situation after that would still be so potentially dangerous that we would not be comfortable to be party to it.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back