Consumer unit breakers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Simon said he would be happy calling ban autistic ...
Actually, what I said (in response to your query) was that I would say to his face in a "meatspace" situation what I'd say here - so it's not a case of "hiding in the internet".

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
So now the post wasn't abuse, it was gentle advice to go for a test.
There's no 'now' about it. I have been saying all along that such was my interpretation. However, as I also keep saying, Simon should not have said it in public.
Simon said he would be happy calling ban autistic, so I don't see this as gentle advice.
I must have missed Simon saying that.
My nephew has Asperger's, so I have a vested interest in the direction of this thread. If I was in a pub and some goon called a person autistic (once), I would be annoyed.
I understand that Simon has at least as strong a vested interest as you do (as do I - see below), and that this was the reason for his 'advice' (again, inappropriately given in public).
I have no idea if ban is on the spectrum, or has any form of disability. Calling him autistic (and implying he may have another disability) is a disability hate crime (or possibly an incident). If a menber of your family was similarly afflicted, would you be happy that it was only said once.
FWIW, I do have a 'similarly afflicted' family member - although I'm not too impressed with it being called an 'affliction'. Yet again, it should not have been said in public. However, pointing out (privately) to someone, or someone close to them, that you feel that they may have a problem (be it autism, cancer, dementia or anything else) that might benefit from professional assistance does not correspond in any way to my understanding of a 'disability hate crime' - on the contrary, it is a responsible and compassionate thing to do.

You seem to be talking as if 'autistic' is a derogatory term used to insult someone (just as, say, 'spastic' and 'cretin' were in decades past). Not only don't I believe that to be the case (and am surprised that you should take that view) but I am all-but-certain that Simon was not using the word as a term of abuse.

Kind Regards, John

The term afflicted should have been affected (I type and spell check in word as my typing is awful and the spell checker in here is not very user freindly). Afflicted is not a word I would ever intentionally use.

Simon appeared to have had enough of ban, which is why I mentioned history between them and his post didn't seem well meaning.
Regardless of the intention I don't see any justification for posting that you think a forum member is autistic, or has some other condition. The term autistic is not derogatory, but obvioulsy can be used so.

If you and Simon work in the mental health profession, diagnosing conditions, I bow to your knowledge, but would question the ability to diagnose based on posts in an internet forum.

This thread should be locked and deleted. Dave is still posting his plans and questions and for some reason still receiving advice.

The term afflicted should have been affected (I type and spell check in word as my typing is awful and the spell checker in here is not very user freindly). Afflicted is not a word I would ever intentionally use.
I'm pleased to hear that since, although I commented in slightly more gentle terms before, I have to say that I did find your use of the word to be pretty offensive.
Simon appeared to have had enough of ban, which is why I mentioned history between them and his post didn't seem well meaning.
I think that most of us have probably, in some senses, 'had enough of BAS', particularly in the sense that we wish, for everyone's sake (including his own), that he would change the way he goes about things, but I haven't noticed Simon having any more of a 'history' with him than have many other people. For example, I imagine that most people would probably say that I have far more of a 'history' with him than does Simon!
Regardless of the intention I don't see any justification for posting that you think a forum member is autistic, or has some other condition.
I have said many times that I agree that it should not have been said in public.
The term autistic is not derogatory, but obvioulsy can be used so.
As I also said, I am all-but-certain that Simon was not using it as a derogatory term.
If you and Simon work in the mental health profession, diagnosing conditions, I bow to your knowledge, but would question the ability to diagnose based on posts in an internet forum.
I can't speak for Simon, but it's certainly not a field in which I work - and, in any event, as you say, even if either of us did, it would be impossible to make any diagnosis 'based on posts in an internet forum'. However, one can form an opinion which suggest that someone should consider seeking professional (diagnostic) assistance, which is what Simon seemed to be suggesting - but, yet again, he should not have done it in public.
This thread should be locked and deleted. Dave is still posting his plans and questions and for some reason still receiving advice.
Indeed he is (both 'posting plans' and receiving advice). As I said, essentially all-but-one of the participants in this thread have consistently refused to give specific 'advice' - I suppose demonstrating that there nearly always is at least one exception to 'prove' every rule! I would say that there are pros and cons of deleting the thread - although this latest 'offshoot' bit, which has absolutely nothing to do with 'electrics', could well be made to disappear!

Kind Regards, John

I totally agree with you John.
Thanks, and I appreciate your taking the time to say that - it can sometimes be difficult to be sure that anyone agrees with me!

This bit of the discussion really needs to stop. It's fairly ironical that someone picking up on something that should not have been said in public has turned what otherwise would have been just one or two small posts, quite possibly not even noticed by many, into a couple of pages of posts about matters which really are not appropriate for this (if any) forum!

Kind Regards, John

I totally agree with you John.
Thanks, and I appreciate your taking the time to say that - it can sometimes be difficult to be sure that anyone agrees with me!

This bit of the discussion really needs to stop. It's fairly ironical that someone picking up on something that should not have been said in public has turned what otherwise would have been just one or two small posts, quite possibly not even noticed by many, into a couple of pages of posts about matters which really are not appropriate for this (if any) forum!

Kind Regards, John

I should have known better than to get involved in a 'discussion' in here.

Maybe. As I just wrote, you certainly managed to change a situation in which there was one small post saying things which should not have been said in public into a couple of pages of fairly conspicuous discussion about the inappropriate issue. I have agreed with you that 'this part' of the thread could (should?) well be deleted.

Kind Regards, John

Maybe. As I just wrote, you certainly managed to change a situation in which there was one small post saying things which should not have been said in public into a couple of pages of fairly conspicuous discussion about the inappropriate issue. I have agreed with you that 'this part' of the thread could (should?) well be deleted.

Kind Regards, John

The point I tried to get across and have given up on, is that you can form an opinion of somebody. I dare say you have an opion of me. To then determine a person needs to seek medical help, as you perceive he has a mental condition cannot be justified. This is just my opinion and could be the last post on the subject. I very much doubt it will be.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back