CONSUMER UNIT CHANGE

Well, don't worry too much. Once you have put in your 'Part P' building control notice for the works and paid the fee to the council, you'll get a building inspector (or appointee) come round and you can discuss with them what is acceptable. They then come back after first fix and again for commissioning.

If you are just changing the CU, there might not be significant savings DIY. Essentially, you'll be paying for an electrician either way.

Sponsored Links
Once you have put in your 'Part P' building control notice for the works and paid the fee to the council, you'll get a building inspector (or appointee) come round and you can discuss with them what is acceptable.

:eek: :rolleyes: :eek: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Hilarious on so many levels! (I nearly wet myself!)

hi everyone who replied to me i think we got of to a bad start lol

thanks for replying to me :D :D

im not diy im qualified electrician but am new to the game and havent come across tt system thats was the main confussion was with the earth leakage breaker

have changed for twin rcd 30ma consumer unit and also put all bonding and eathing in place and had no trips which shocked me with the age of the house anyway thanks for your help :mrgreen
:

just wanted to say to any1 that thinks there better then others REMEMBER THIS YOU STARTED AT THE BOTTOM JUST THE ALL OF US !!!!

AND YEAH IM AWARE MY ENGLISH GRAMMER IS CRAP

im not diy im qualified electrician but am new to the game and havent come across tt system thats was the main confussion was with the earth leakage breaker

I am now confused, you say "" im qualified electrician "" and "" havent come across tt system ""

Does this mean it is possible to be " qualified " without being able to deal with a TT system ?

Or am I missing something ?

Sponsored Links
have changed for twin rcd 30ma consumer unit and also put all bonding and eathing in place and had no trips which shocked me with the age of the house
So you stuck a new board in and were shocked that it worked OK? That means that you didn't do any testing before you installed it.

And you've never seen a TT system before.

What exactly does "qualified electrician" mean in your case?

Well, don't worry too much. Once you have put in your 'Part P' building control notice for the works and paid the fee to the council, you'll get a building inspector (or appointee) come round and you can discuss with them what is acceptable. They then come back after first fix and again for commissioning.

If you are just changing the CU, there might not be significant savings DIY. Essentially, you'll be paying for an electrician either way.

The only contact I will be needing with the LABC will be to tell them where to shove their part P fees.

It will be all in accordance with the BS. I will be checking everything out, including TT earthing and bonding out against the on site guide.

a 50 quid MFT hire for 2 days works out much cheaper than those non-jobs over at BC and to be honest, they have no business regarding what I do in my own home. According to the paperwork, all work has to be done iaw to the BS. Not according to what some flipflop wearing worn tweed jacketed idiot thinks down at the planning office.

Time this country got to relearn "personal responsibility".

to be honest, they have no business regarding what I do in my own home.
To be honest, the law says otherwise.

Yeah, and as I have said before, laws are pointless if noone is going to stop people from "breaking" them. I am not charging people to do work for them. I am doing work in my own home, to relevant standards.

I would like to see what would happen if a council prosecuted someone for doing work that met all the required standards. Funny old thing, it hasnt happened, nor should it.

If someone does work and ends up hurting someone through gash wiring, and I am sure you see plenty of this at work, they should be done. Its quite simple. But doing someone for not paying a fee, to have work "signed off" to a relevant standard because I havent paid membership fees is complete and utter @rse.

Be that as it may, the law does give them an interest in what you do in your house.

But as long as you retain your belief in personal responsibility when you come to sell......

Be that as it may, the law does give them an interest in what you do in your house.

But as long as you retain your belief in personal responsibility when you come to sell......

And do you know what, I have never once seen anyone turn down a house on the basis of electrical paperwork. Maybe a spark would, but there is just too much stuff that surveyors say "get an expert in", roofing, plumbing, gas pipework, boiler, on their reports to ever prevent a sale for just electrics.If I had 70 year old rubber wiring, mabe you would haggle a discount for a rewire, but people just dont give a stuff about council beaurocracy paperwork. They really dont.

If I got a periodic the month before I sold, I would still have more paperwork on the household electrics than 60% of other houses on the market.

And if you get a questionnaire from your buyer's solicitor asking, inter alia, if you've had any work done which required Building Regulations approval you will....... ?

o my god i no what a tt system is but you cant no absolutely everything they arent the most common sytems are they get a grip man chill your beans

qualified means i passed all my exams and assesments ok dont hate congatulate :p

certainly wont be asking any advice on here anymore

just keep on smiling boys and girls lifes to short

And if you get a questionnaire from your buyer's solicitor asking, inter alia, if you've had any work done which required Building Regulations approval you will....... ?

And how often does that happen?
As I said, an up to date PIR in the paperwork packup would put me ahead of 60% of other households. Seeing as the house doesnt have a single piece of paperworkregistered with BC to date, I dont think I would be any worse off tbh.

qualified means i passed all my exams and assesments ok
But you think that good practice when replacing a CU in an old installation is to just stick it in and hope you don't start to get any tripping problems.

Clown.

o my god i no what a tt system is but you cant no absolutely everything they arent the most common sytems are they get a grip man chill your beans

qualified means i passed all my exams and assesments ok dont hate congatulate :p

certainly wont be asking any advice on here anymore

just keep on smiling boys and girls lifes to short

Can we see pics of the wiring in the new consumer unit?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back