CONSUMER UNIT CHANGE

o my god i no what a tt system is but you cant no absolutely everything they arent the most common sytems are they get a grip man chill your beans

qualified means i passed all my exams and assesments ok dont hate congatulate :p

certainly wont be asking any advice on here anymore

just keep on smiling boys and girls lifes to short

Can we see pics of the wiring in the new consumer unit?

Tell you what, I will do the same. You can all have a laugh, or alternatively ring the police.

Bet you cant spot any faults though. Will give some before and after shots of some of the stuff I have already had to contend with.

Sponsored Links
no mate stop thinking ur clever u no what i ment it would normally trip due to sensitivity of new board but it didnt and i was expecting more problems dont get arsey mate the work is all up to the highest standard required all up to regs

seya :LOL:

best get back to doing aprils quotes...........[/b]

If you had done proper testing prior to swaping the unit then 'sensitivity of the board' wouldn't be an issue as any problems would have shown up and been rectified prior to the swap.

o my god i no what a tt system is but you cant no absolutely everything they arent the most common sytems are they

Historically yes they probably are, and they are still very widespread in areas with overhead supplies.

A "qualified electrician" should certainly know what they are, because they are mentioned in some depth in the Regs, even if you've never actually seen one before.

And you no no how to spell no.

Sponsored Links
And how often does that happen?
More and more.

But that's not the point - it only has to happen to you once.

As I said, an up to date PIR in the paperwork packup would put me ahead of 60% of other households. Seeing as the house doesnt have a single piece of paperworkregistered with BC to date, I dont think I would be any worse off tbh.
So the answer you would give to your buyer's solicitor would be.......?

And how often does that happen?
More and more.

But that's not the point - it only has to happen to you once.

As I said, an up to date PIR in the paperwork packup would put me ahead of 60% of other households. Seeing as the house doesnt have a single piece of paperworkregistered with BC to date, I dont think I would be any worse off tbh.
So the answer you would give to your buyer's solicitor would be.......?

If I were bothered by all of this, I would have bought a couple of reels of kitemark cable that has been stamped up a few years ago, which I know exists and is easy to obtain, and I would say the installation was as I found it, lacking any form of notification to Building control. You know you can still easily buy pre-unified coloured cabling easily on the market, unused and easily installable pre part P. Who is to say when it was installed? :rolleyes:

(http://shop.ebay.co.uk/sis.html?_nkw=6mm+twin+and+earth+red+and+black+old+colours+cable

However, I am not like that, and I wouldnt be dishonest.

I would tell them that I had none the notifiable work myself. If you think I would brick it over solicitor slime, think again. And if they found fault with it, I would knock the equivalent off the price of the house to put it right.

But then again, a PIR would ease their mind as they could see there were no issues. A PIR which details cable suitability, max demand, PFC, polarity, continuity with R1+R2 values...

If they really want to, they can scan the walls to see whether I have used mechanical earthed protection.

But then again, would they bother? You know I am sure that a neat installer who uses the correct equipment eases the minds considerably when doing an inspection. If the chap doing the PIR were to ask, I would tell them directly, that I had done the work a number of years ago.

Frankly, its not just me that thinks part P is a complete scam, I have spoken to a number of electrical engineers and sparks that see exactly what the registration and fee related requirements of it were.

If they were serious, they should have stuck with requiring that all work was completed in a safe manner, did not interfere with previous design, meets the required BS for design, installation and testing.

Hang, on, thats what you sign off on the PIR and installation paperwork, that I will be filling out and signing myself.

If anyone wants to try and find fault with my work when they come to buy the house, they are more than welcome. They will be disappointed though if they think they will get a discount as there will be absolutely nothing wrong. I have worked in engineering design, working to requirements in a previous life before I moved to aviation, and I have to say, its money for old rope. It really is, especially for resi installs where there are extensive examples provided in the on site guide and other 17th edition guides. It doesnt get much easier than picking a cable from a table cross referenced to its installation method, finding a breaker that will pop before the derated cables value and install according to standards, as long as the supply is capable of handling the extra demand, whats the issue? Its not hard to look up where you are, and are not allowed to site sockets in relation to sinks and cookers, its not particularly hard to provide mechanical protection, its not hard to work out grouping factors, nor apply diversity and as long as my work is within regs, whats the issue? Do I really need to know what are the three types of supply and their intricacies, or do I need to know the one that is installed in my house and the issues it causes?

Besides, how many homes have complete installations without Building reg approval for everything? I would say the majority. By simply charting existing cable runs, having a maintainance history (self-provided) on the electrical system, I would be miles ahead of equivalent sellers.

Part Ps administration is a complete joke. Whilst I could never disagree with its aims, I certainly have issue with the way it achieves them.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
... the work is all up to the highest standard required all up to regs..
Well, that can't be, as you don't know what the Regs require. Really, you don't.

Still, as long as you're happy with your level of knowledge, then that's fine, I guess. :eek:

... the work is all up to the highest standard required all up to regs..
Well, that can't be, as you don't know what the Regs require. Really, you don't.

Still, as long as you're happy with your level of knowledge, then that's fine, I guess. :eek:

Playing Devils Advocate

It is possible to design and install a perfectly safe installation without knowing the regulations. Working with information from the data sheets of the cable and other components used together with a sound basic knowledge of electricity a safe design can be produced without reference to the regulations. To some extent that is how the regulations were created in the first place. The regulations will have been a practical compromise between prefection and what is economically achievable given the cost contraints in domestic electrical work.

That said the regulations should be used when the designer / installer does not have all the necessary knowledge to work in a way other than compliance with the regulations.

im a tad bord of this bull of a few of you so apparently i cant spell wich im aware of mate you dont go on about it however mate im the master when it comes to a tradesman thats why i have **** loads of work and massive contracts and have been booked months in advance for the last 5 years

have expanded my skills a year ago and added electrics to my expanding company with 5 vans and 7 staff

jog on any1 who says im a fool

i dont need to prove myself to any1

so crap spelling hasnt stopped me and my level of knowledge hasnt stopped me yet pen pusher

im done now no more childish games arguing at the end of the day we all trying to earn a living and as long as we do it safely and legally then who gives a ++++

im a tad bord of this bull of a few of you so apparently i cant spell wich im aware of mate you dont go on about it however mate im the master when it comes to a tradesman thats why i have s**t loads of work and massive contracts and have been booked months in advance for the last 5 years

have expanded my skills a year ago and added electrics to my expanding company with 5 vans and 7 staff

Congratulations - do you appear here: http://www.competentperson.co.uk/
or here: http://www.builderregister.com

or are you due to make an appearance here: http://www.five.tv/shows/cowboy-builders

And yet you still think the right way to install a CU into an old installation is to whack it in and then start trying to sort out the problems.

That you are doing well commercially doesn't come as a great surprise - I bet you're really cheap.

That you think you're doing a good job, and to be admired and praised, not criticised and told you're an incompetent slapdash cowboy also comes as no surprise.

I hope it comes as no surprise to you to be told, in respect of your presence on this forum, to FOAD.

im a tad bord of this bull of a few of you so apparently i cant spell wich im aware of mate you dont go on about it however mate im the master when it comes to a tradesman thats why i have s**t loads of work and massive contracts and have been booked months in advance for the last 5 years

so crap spelling hasnt stopped me and my level of knowledge hasnt stopped me yet pen pusher

im done now no more childish games arguing at the end of the day we all trying to earn a living and as long as we do it safely and legally then who gives a ++++

I had to have my new ferrari modified so i'd have room to unfurl my enormous penis in it.

Alternatively I might be lying on the internet..

I bet he's got 2 Ferrari's, one for him and one for his misjudged ego.

How can you spout such nonsense about being 'top notch' with one years experience and no knowledge of TT earthing arangments. Also only a idiot installs a cu without any prior testing. I bet he hasn't even got any test equipment, or if he has he cant use it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back