Consumer unit EICR c3 fail?

I did look, cooker, washing machine, and immersion heater. I looked at the instructions for my washing machines, and neither ask for RCD protection, with the immersion heater I would prefer the RCD to trip if the element fails, and I know cookers can have problems with damp getting into the elements, so all three items have mineral insulated elements and can see why not having an RCD may be a good thing.

So can see the argument both sides as to if RCD protection or not for those circuits.

The EICR has the code C2 defined as "potentially dangerous", and I would agree hard to see why when feeding the three items shown on the CU labels it would be considered as "potentially dangerous"? It may not comply with BS 7671 as a new install, but code 4 was removed from the EICR so we no longer have the option of giving it a code 4.

However it is up to the inspector as to what codes he issues, not us. He could decide with LED lights one needs a type A not AC RCD, I think that would be rather OTT, however it is up to him what codes he uses, most of us would use the best practice guide 4, however I Don't agree with all it says to me this 1707218059945.png to my mind is not a fail, bad practice yes, but to say more sockets must be fitted on an EICR to me is going OTT, so we have 1707218553848.png and 1707218637257.png for the C2 and C3 codes relating to RCD's so Best practice guide 4 does seem to say that should not be a fail. But at end of day it is up to the person testing not the person writing the guide or us, and it is likely cheaper to fit the new CU than get some one else to test it.

Sponsored Links
“qualified person” means a person competent to undertake the inspection and testing required under regulation 3(1) and any further investigative or remedial work in accordance with the electrical safety standards;
ericmark said:
..... But it states also
... the private landlord must ensure that further investigative or remedial work is carried out by a qualified person
.... which seems to rule out DIY unless you can show you are a “qualified person”.

You say that, but the first definition you've quoted above makes it clear that, for the purpose of the legislation', being a "qualified person" only requires 'competence', not necessarily any paper 'qualifications'- but, as you imply, I'm not sure how a DIYer would be expected to demonstrate their 'competence'.

Paper qualifications are certainly not everything. We all know that there are at least some people with 'paper qualifications' whose apparent level of 'competence' (or the lack of it!) is such that we wouldn't want them anywhere near our electrical installations ;)

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back