Told I have to replace this relatively modern Consumer Unit

But, while these other materials may well be better, the fact remains that you cannot state as a fact " X complies with reg blah blah". You know it's better, I know it's better, uncle Tom Cobley et al know it's better - but none of us can state compliance with the reg as currently worded.
But because the stupid reg does state that ferrous metal is deemed to comply, we can say that steel complies and the box can be ticked.
I know it's daft, you know it's daft - but that's what the idiots in JPEL/64 lumbered us with :evil:

Sponsored Links
But, while these other materials may well be better, the fact remains that you cannot state as a fact " X complies with reg blah blah". You know it's better, I know it's better, uncle Tom Cobley et al know it's better - but none of us can state compliance with the reg as currently worded. But because the stupid reg does state that ferrous metal is deemed to comply, we can say that steel complies and the box can be ticked. I know it's daft, you know it's daft - but that's what the idiots in JPEL/64 lumbered us with :evil:
I suppose that we really ought to just agree that its daft (which we do), and leave it at that!

My view is that it is probably beyond the spirit of 'compliance' to believe that one is 'complying' (other than in the most literal of senses by comply with an impossible 'requirement', even if the regulation concern includes an attempt to pretend that it's not impossible.

Even courts tend to take that approach, in relation to laws which, as written, are daft because they are impossible - particularly those silly legacy laws that have never been repealed - like the one in at least one US State which makes it illegal for any man to have sex, in any circumstances, with a virgin :)

Kind Regards, John

like the one in at least one US State which makes it illegal for any man to have sex, in any circumstances, with a virgin :)
Unless it has extra-territorial application then I suppose they could at least "prepare" the virgin in another State for lawful intercourse within the State...

Unless it has extra-territorial application then I suppose they could at least "prepare" the virgin in another State for lawful intercourse within the State...
I suppose so - but, as you say, that would then remove the illegality within the State with the law!

Sponsored Links
I suppose so - but, as you say, that would then remove the illegality within the State with the law!
Indeed... I'm certainly not going to pretend that it's particularly logical or sensible legislation. And I suppose there could be potential Constitutional issues as well.

Indeed... I'm certainly not going to pretend that it's particularly logical or sensible legislation. And I suppose there could be potential Constitutional issues as well.
Well, in cases like this (and there are countless similar examples floating around the Internet) it's apparent that those who wrote, and those who 'passed'/approved the legislation were not thinking very clearly. They might as well as gone the whole hog and made it illegal for an unmarried person to marry :)

I vaguely recall that in the early days of genetic research, a law was passed which controlled something like "any activity which will create a unique genetic code". And I'm told there were letters to the Times complaining that it had scuppered their love life :eek:

I vaguely recall that in the early days of genetic research, a law was passed which controlled something like "any activity which will create a unique genetic code". And I'm told there were letters to the Times complaining that it had scuppered their love life :eek:
Indeed in Victorian times and before it seems incest was an extremely common scenario, particulaly between 1st cousins and aunty/nephew. I've seen copies of birth certificates (and at attempt to draw a 'family tree') seeming to show one particular man, starting at the age of 9, siring something like 50 children with his grandmother, mother, sister, and all of their incestual daughters, and granddaughters. Many of them ended up in asylums.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back