consumer unit in bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Having a chat at work yesterday and this came up....Is it possible to have a consumer unit in a bathroom? If so under what conditions? would it have to be in a lockable cupboard with a certain IP rating? If it was in a lockable cupboard (or one only openable with a tool) would this in itself fall foul of an access to switchgear regultion? what zone would suit if any? Has anyone ever seen one in a bathroom (one of the guys at work has)?
Any answers or further information would be interesting and might settle a bet or two!!

Sponsored Links
You should hit yourself on the back of the hand immediately with a hammer for contemplating such a thing :rolleyes:

if its out of zones you could use any normal CU
i don't think its allowed in any of the zones though but i may be misreading
note: just because it is allowed does not make it sane

Switchgear and accessories are allowed in Zone 3, aren't they?

You'd have to be bonkers. Think of the RCD trips the condensation would cause.

Don't hit yourself on the back of the hand with a hammer, hit yourself around the head with a bit of 4be2.

Sponsored Links
i seem to remember there is an IP4X requirement for zone 3 which i can't see any way of meeting this requirement, not sure about outside the zones though, but as stated the regular condensation does not miraculously stop at the outer edge of zone 3.

I reckon a cupboard rated to IP-67 or IP-68 would do the trick, preventing moisture ingress and RCD trips. Not sure where you would buy one (certainly wouldn't be a cheap item for domestic use, would be industrial or military).

A lot of hassle to go to to move a CU, mind! :confused:

plugwash said:
im pretty sure you can buy ip rated consumer units
One of my shed's CU's is IP rated 56 I think, thats the rating on it so yep you can get IP rated CU's.

Yeah, I've seen ip56 models, but I think most are designed for garages, I haven't noticed any fully featured or split load types though. What are the models you were looking at?

IP = Ingress Protection.

You write it IP xy or IP xyz, where:

x = rating against ingress by solid objects (1 being a hand, 6 being totally dustproof)
y = rating against ingress by liquids (1 being protection against vertical rain, 8 being totally waterproof down to depths below 1m)
z = rating against impact (1 being a gentle knock, 9 being a whack)

If you see a 0, that means there is no rating against that attribute.

In these forums you will see a 2 digit IP rating, as impact isn't really a consideration in domestic wiring (unless you like to go mental with a hammer at your CU :LOL: )

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back