Consumer unit location

Once again thank you all for the replies, they've been very helpful.

I pressed the council on exactly why they decided the consumer unit was hazardous and exactly which regulations they thought it breached. They've so far been unable to give me an answer and actually suggested I needed to hire a contractor to come to my property and explain what needed changing as they weren't expert enough to explain the regulations!

I told them that a council surveyor from the building control had already been out and signed it off as passing all the relevant regulations when the work was done 3 years ago. They then seemed a bit stumped as to what to say and I'm awaiting further communication.

Can't wait to see what they come back with, I have a feeling it's going to be comedy gold.....I'll update the thread when I get some more news.

Thank you again for all the help, it's made this a lot easier and much more entertaining!

Sponsored Links
I pressed the council on exactly why they decided the consumer unit was hazardous and exactly which regulations they thought it breached. They've so far been unable to give me an answer and actually suggested I needed to hire a contractor to come to my property and explain what needed changing as they weren't expert enough to explain the regulations!
You couldn't make it up, could you.

"You have to change this, it's dangerous and doesn't comply with the regulations."

"What makes it dangerous, and which regulation(s) does it breach?"

"We don't know."

I do feel like I've been dropped into the middle of a two ronnies sketch at times.....

I do feel like I've been dropped into the middle of a two ronnies sketch at times.....
Indeed. I suppose that if you were prepared to put up with the consequent hassle, it would be very interesting if you formally refused to do the work (moving the CU) and asked them 'what they were going to do about that'!!

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Presumably they would not issue the retrospective license for the alterations and the OP would be unable to sell.

Presumably they would not issue the retrospective license for the alterations and the OP would be unable to sell.
Sure, that's the probable initial "consequent hassle" to which I referred. However, that would only be a start - it's when one started challenging that decision (via whatever formal/legal channels) that it might get 'interesting'!

Kind Regards, John

The common sense thing for them to do would be to tell me exactly which regulation was being breached and exactly what I need to do to sort it out.

So that's one course of action we know they won't take, can't wait to see what they come up with!

We need to get the license sorted to complete the sale but I hold little hope of this!

Write to the head of the leasehold dept, cc Borough Solicitor, outlining the situation, and informing him that should it turn out that no regulations have been breached you will be seeking compensation if you suffer any losses due to the delay to the sale.

The common sense thing for them to do would be to tell me exactly which regulation was being breached and exactly what I need to do to sort it out. So that's one course of action we know they won't take, can't wait to see what they come up with!
Quite - but, more to the point, since you didn't install the CU, and didn't move it, I'm at a loss to see why they feel it's your responsibility to move it a few inches up the wall - and that would remain true even if it does 'breach regulations' (which none of us believe it does!). Do you think these idiots actually understand that you've never had anything to do with the position of the CU?
We need to get the license sorted to complete the sale but I hold little hope of this!
Yes, you do need to get that done, but it appears to be a totally different issue, and this CU nonsense really should not affect or impact on that.

Kind Regards, John

Write to the head of the leasehold dept, cc Borough Solicitor, outlining the situation, and informing him that should it turn out that no regulations have been breached you will be seeking compensation if you suffer any losses due to the delay to the sale.

I like your style! Thank you for that, this will be my next course of action if they continue screwing about.

Can new heights be imposed retrospectively on existing installations?

i.e. If I wire a socket, am I therefore obliged to raise the height of all the sockets in the house and change the heights of the switches as well?

It seems OP is being asked to do work that satisfy's some regulation (although posters so far can't think of which regulation -- neither can I) to bring the existing installation up to current standard (what standard???). Isn't that retrospective....

Again, thank you all for the replies, very helpful.

They won't issue the license until the issues from the survey have been resolved (even though they can't explain what the issues are).

As far as retrospectively applying regulations, I don't believe they can do that, however the councils surveyor told me on the phone that the wiring of the entire property could be under investigation as I had modified the wiring by putting two new sockets in! This work was done by a qualified electrician and the relevant tests have all been passed.

I always like to think the best of people but its to ignore the fact that all the signs indicate he is talking out of his ar*e....

Again, thank you all for the replies, very helpful.

They won't issue the license until the issues from the survey have been resolved (even though they can't explain what the issues are).

As far as retrospectively applying regulations, I don't believe they can do that, however the councils surveyor told me on the phone that the wiring of the entire property could be under investigation as I had modified the wiring by putting two new sockets in! This work was done by a qualified electrician and the relevant tests have all been passed.

I always like to think the best of people but its to ignore the fact that all the signs indicate he is talking out of his ar*e....

Don't bother. The regs as of 1 April allow circuit modifications sans notification I believe. Name and shame the communist council you are dealing with.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back