Consumer Unit Replacement

Sponsored Links
If you're going to work live, consider how to do it safely.
First, check that there's no reasonable way to isolate, as red zone workbg is a last resort
If not, make sure you have the right PPE. Watching the dno do it with our cutout that would be 1kv gloves.
Make sure there's no earthed metal around as it's possible to drop the exposed live conductor on it. Any that's there eg water pipe, gas pipe, consumer unit, needs isolating from earth or insulating.
Good luck.

The way I saw it (not that I am considering doing it live now as I will make more effort to get the key) was that the only live wires would be from the meter and when the terminal screw holding them in the meter is unscrewed then they won't be live any more once they are out of the terminal so there is no chance of any live wire dangling and touching anything else.
when putting the wire back into the meter the other end will obviously already have been wired in the isolator while disconnected and now have the cover on so fully insulated so again no dangling live wires.
I was looking at electricians gloves the other night, I didn't realise they were so expensive (more than I thought anyway) but then I guess its because they have to be tested fully to ensure they are safe.

It it even 'allowed' for the residents or occupiers of a building not to have access to a means of fully isolating the electrical installation in the event of an 'emergency'?

Should someone, or even just property, come to harm as a result of such an inability to isolate the electrical installation, I don't imagine that a Court would be very sympathetic to whoever was holding the 'magic key'!

Kind Regards, John
Surely thats standard practise to all blocks of flats, though more often its in a room out of site

Sponsored Links
    • Looking at the seals on it, that might belong to the Electric board and i would have thought the council should not lock it with there padlock.
      It may be a old style FB padlock, which the Fire brigade as well as the Electric board can access, though they would likely just cut it offf in an emergency.
      Inside its likely a Ryefield board with 100 amp fuse carriers
      Does the padlock have FB stamped on it, though do not condone you fiddling inside.

I took a photo of it when unlocked and partially open but can't find the photo now, if I find it I will post it.
So maybe the British Gas Electrician might have a key to it after all, which is good news. ?I will mention it to them tomorrow and see assuming the person on the other end of the phone will know of course.

You guys are really very helpful.

I took a photo of it when unlocked and partially open but can't find the photo now, if I find it I will post it.
So maybe the British Gas Electrician might have a key to it after all, which is good news. ?I will mention it to them tomorrow and see assuming the person on the other end of the phone will know of course.

You guys are really very helpful.
Sorry i missed that bit, whats the BG electrician coming to do, as for FB keys they will likely only bring them if they have checked there records and its listed as they need it,
Fb is not so in fashion now as the keys are so easy to get and its unlikely they would issue the keys to all BG employees, ones who do a lot of council work may have there own for convenience,

Just to put you guys minds at rest I have been put off from the live approach which I was never very keen on in the first place.
I will re-tackle the council if British Gas aren't able to do it for me.

I am not in a rush to get this done any more so I can wait for proper access to be given to do it safely

Sorry i missed that bit, whats the BG electrician coming to do, as for FB keys they will likely only bring them if they have checked there records and its listed as they need it,
Fb is not so in fashion now as the keys are so easy to get and its unlikely they would issue the keys to all BG employees, ones who do a lot of council work may have there own for convenience,

I was going to get him to put an isolator switch in between the meter and my CU so work can be done on the CU safely.

Just to put you guys minds at rest I have been put off from the live approach which I was never very keen on in the first place.
I will re-tackle the council if British Gas aren't able to do it for me.

I am not in a rush to get this done any more so I can wait for proper access to be given to do it safely
May be wise to EDIT your post about tampering with the meter tails:)

This is likely whats inside

VERTICAL-296x300.png

Yes, only 5 of the 20 flats are private owners and the rest are council tenants.
So the council are effectively the management company.
Well, if you think about it it is only right and proper that they exercise control over who can fiddle with the electrics. You've seen what can happen when an idiot is let loose, imagine that sort of person doing things with a building-wide scope.

BG Electrician booked for this friday to fit isolation switch and its only £49 which includes the parts, so very cheap I am surprised.
I will now book access to the key from the council, hopefully they will reply in time.

Had the British Gas Electrician come round today and install the isolation switch.
He was very professional in the way he went about his job and was a joy to watch.

I am very happy with his work and he had the keys to access the fusebox, so all good.
He had a fuse detector so he could find the fuse easily and it was one of the two I thought it would be but hard to tell as the layout isn't so logical

I am very happy with his work and he had the keys to access the fusebox, so all good.
Glad that it went well.

Judging by the appearance of the sleeving over them, I imagine that the tails coming out of the isolator must be fairly thin?

In passing, it's quite a long time since I last saw one of those electro-mechanical meters in service (we last had one 20+ years ago) - I'm rather surprised it has not been 'updated'.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back