Consumer Unit Replacement

Hi guys I got a typical novice question for you.

To mate the 20mm steel conduit with the CU I assume you use flanges on the end of the conduit on the outside of the CU and bushes on the inside.
Since the CU is metal but painted, do you remove the paint around the knockout to get a better earth ?

Also if using the 20mm flanges which have a diameter of 35mm and the 20mm knockouts are spaced 10mm apart (as they are in my CU) then the flange will stick out 7.5mm around the knockout so then I can't use two knockouts next to each other ?

Sponsored Links
What he's done is still OK for redoing the consumer unit, provided that the existing tails feeding the CU are long enough (and therefore don't need to be replaced).

However, as EFLI said (and I forgot to mention!) it really does sound like a 'mistake', and such a basic one that it's hard to see how anyone doing such work all the time could possibly do it 'in error'!

If it stays like that, it will be very interesting to hear what is said when someone comes to change your meter!

Kind Regards, John

That is very true as they will as I said I would like a smart meter.
That said it might be the same guy that does it, if it is I will ask him why he did it that way.

That is very true as they will as I said I would like a smart meter. That said it might be the same guy that does it, if it is I will ask him why he did it that way.
Indeed. Whether it's the same guy or a different one, it will be interesting to hear what they have to say!

Kind Regards, John

There is no need to use flange couplers if you dont want to, normal couplers will suffice, most people dont clean around the bush, tightening usually gouges up the surface sufficiently and nowadays seperate earths are usually run inside, unlike in your case.
Flange couplers usually come with a 20mm serrated washer or if you want them, likely sold on ebay

Sponsored Links
There is no need to use flange couplers if you dont want to, normal couplers will suffice, most people dont clean around the bush, tightening usually gouges up the surface sufficiently and nowadays seperate earths are usually run inside, unlike in your case.
Flange couplers usually come with a 20mm serrated washer or if you want them, likely sold on ebay

Thank you for your reply as that is most helpful, I was pondering on using normal couplers but thought maybe more contact was needed, hence the flanges.

I understand that so called smart meters notify if they lose power and questions are asked about broken seals etc. Putting an isolator before the meter would be asking for trouble.

I understand that so called smart meters notify if they lose power and questions are asked about broken seals etc. Putting an isolator before the meter would be asking for trouble.

I guess that means when they fit a smart meter they will have to move it to the other side of the meter where it should be in the first place.

My seal was broken but he didn't say anything.
With smart meters they will take readings quite frequently and will know your previous history so I think only if you then suddenly reduce your usage they will knock on your door to check.

I said I would like a smart meter.
Why?

Seriously, why, why why?

You really ought to examine why, and join in a discussion here, because there is a very good chance that you are mistaken in your reasons for wanting one, and are ignorant of all the reasons why you should not want one.

You could start by searching the forum for previous discussions of smart meters.

I'm afraid it must be your eyes - it is very clear. :)

upload_2018-3-17_1-13-33.png

I'm afraid it must be your eyes - it is very clear. :)
Hmmm - I'm not sure about 'very clear' - it's 'side-on' and up very tight to the 'housing' (and thereby very much less 'clear' than the other one), but I suppose you're right! My apologies.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back