Consumer Unit Replacement

You may be right, but -

upload_2018-3-1_20-1-24.png

Sponsored Links
Well I have ordered some and lets see. At least they aren't expensive to try out.

Sponsored Links
I am going to have to find out how to quote your responses so I can reply to them like you do.

The point I was considering is that my 5/8" conduit have been cut/butchered so the one end has no thread on it currently.
The photo shows the thread which will screw back into the existing conduit so I could try and thread the un-threaded end with M16 and then it would screw into the reducer.

But I pity the next poor sod who has to deal with it and looks at a piece of conduit with one end with BSF 5/8" and the other end with M16 ;)

I am going to have to find out how to quote your responses so I can reply to them like you do.
upload_2018-3-1_23-39-23.png

But I pity the next poor sod who has to deal with it and looks at a piece of conduit with one end with BSF 5/8" and the other end with M16 ;)
Yes, but I think that in the electrical installation world 16mm metal conduit is uncommon. To say the least.

... so I could try and thread the un-threaded end with M16 and then it would screw into the reducer.
You could indeed try that, and might well be successful. I may be wrong, but when EFLI wrote "Surely the ⅝" at 15.875mm. is near enough to be treated as 16mm", I presumed he meant that either could have an M16 thread cut on them (with which I'd be inclined to agree, particularly since one is not needing to create a water-tight/gas-tight joint), rather than (as BAS has seemed to have assumed) that one could successfully mate ⅝" BSF and M16 components.

Kind Regards, John

I take your point, and yes, I was thinking about the mating of ⅝" BSF and M16 components.

But I do still wonder how good a thread a 16mm die would cut on a 15.875mm pipe. Although fluid-tight joints aren't needed, a reasonable amount of mechanical strength and friction is. Worth a try.

Are M20 to ⅝" couplers/adapters available?

upload_2018-3-2_12-56-48.png

A (coarse) male M16 thread has a minor diameter of about 13.5mm, so I would hope to be able to cut a reasonably usable (even if probably not water/gas-tight) thread on a 15.875mm (⅝") pipe/conduit.

As I said, worth a try. Such a thread might be feasible using machinery, but maybe a hand-held stock and die would not be stable enough on an undersized tube to cut a uniform thread.

I thought his plan was to insert sections of ⅝" tube into the existing couplers, and on the other ends cut M16 threads to allow the use of M16/M20 adapters into M20 bushes?

I thought his plan was to insert sections of ⅝" tube into the existing couplers, and on the other ends cut M16 threads to allow the use of M16/M20 adapters into M20 bushes?

Yes that is my plan as otherwise the sex is reversed as the existing pipes have a socket to screw into thus the reducer can not be used.
That is the only reason I would reused the existing cut off conduit otherwise I wouldn't bother and go straight to 20mm conduit.

But if you could find something like this:

View attachment 137560

Yes that would be nice if I could find one that way around but I have tried.

I just seen these but got no idea what 0.5 or 1.0 ET is, but look at the price £999 each ;)

http://www.remora.net/catalogue/Gla...Hazardous-Reducers/ET-Imperial-Metric-Reducer

The following is what you said but they don't do the wonderful 5/8" conduit :(

http://www.cooperindustries.com/con...atalog-pdfs/fittings/amn-anm-iec-adapters.pdf

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back