Consumer Unit Replacement

Sponsored Links
I just found this very comprehensive catalogue which seems to have every kind of adaptor and they even have ones for 5/8" but based in USA I think.

http://updates.clipsal.com/clipsalonline/files/brochures/cms0004.pdf

So I could use a 5/8" male to 16mm female adaptor to screw into the existing conduit.

Then a 16mm nipple so now I have 16mm female

And then a metric reducer 20mm male to 16mm female

And then a standard 20mm conduit coupler to connect my 20mm conduit.

It seems like a bit too much too me ;)

I just seen these but got no idea what 0.5 or 1.0 ET is, but look at the price £999 each ;)
They are out of stock.

Often the quickest and easiest way to tweak a web catalogue to deal with unavailability (assuming you expect it to come back into stock) is to make it a mad price.

Do you know anywhere where you could get a little bit of custom machining done?

If an M16 thread on ⅝" tube doesn't work you could get 16mm tube and have someone turn one end down to ⅝", you could put a thread on that to go into your existing couplers, and then no probs with M16 thread on the other end.

I was looking at custom CNC the other night, there are several places in China that do it but I suspect they require reasonable quantities.

That is a very good idea, I just need to find someone with a lathe.
There is a miniature railway club that we take our little boy to and they got lots of sheds with lathes etc to build their trains, maybe I could get someone there to turn down a tube if it turns out to be necessary but I think I should just be able to tap my 5/8" conduit with a 16mm die and then the 20mm to 16mm reducers I have now ordered will be fine.

I do believe that the difference is very minimal and the 0.2mm diameter difference won't effect the thread as it is a 0.1mm difference for the thread since on both sides of the tube.
I suppose I better order that 16mm die set now and try it.

Sponsored Links
There is a miniature railway club that we take our little boy to and they got lots of sheds with lathes etc to build their trains, maybe I could get someone there to turn down a tube if it turns out to be necessary
That's the sort of thing people who play with tools like that would love to do.

I do believe that the difference is very minimal and the 0.2mm diameter difference won't effect the thread as it is a 0.1mm difference for the thread since on both sides of the tube.
As I've said, that would be my suspicion/expectation/hope. The thread depth of an M16 (coarse) male thread is about 1.23mm, so the 0.2mm difference is, as you say, not an enormous proportion of that.

Kind Regards, John

Looking at M16 dies, I see there are several types x 2, x 1.5 which refers to the thread pitch.
The 20 mm to 16 mm reducer doesn't state what thread pitch it uses, I thought it would be the coarse one of 2 mm pitch that is used but then I found one in Australia which states it uses 1.5 mm pitch.

I am learning a lot of things thanks to all your help on this forum.
I find it very interesting with the different thread specs etc, I never realised there were so many.

They are like standards in IT - there are enough for everybody to have their own.

Looking at M16 dies, I see there are several types x 2, x 1.5 which refers to the thread pitch.
The 20 mm to 16 mm reducer doesn't state what thread pitch it uses, I thought it would be the coarse one of 2 mm pitch that is used but then I found one in Australia which states it uses 1.5 mm pitch.
My stock & dies are in the loft, and I'm sorry, but I'll be b******d if I'm going up there now.

Someone whose are more accessible can look at theirs, where I'm sure the die will say on it which pitch it is. I suspect it's the fine one.

I just found this very comprehensive catalogue which seems to have every kind of adaptor and they even have ones for 5/8" but based in USA I think.

http://updates.clipsal.com/clipsalonline/files/brochures/cms0004.pdf

So I could use a 5/8" male to 16mm female adaptor to screw into the existing conduit.

Then a 16mm nipple so now I have 16mm female

And then a metric reducer 20mm male to 16mm female

And then a standard 20mm conduit coupler to connect my 20mm conduit.

It seems like a bit too much too me ;)
You would need a coupler (and stock and die) for the 5/8" rather than a nipple to mate a male connection.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back