Consumer Unit Replacement

0.05 is a better figure. You need to scrape/ abrade the conduit to expose bare metal. This will give the earth strap a much better connection, hence a lower resistance.

Yes and I did use a Dremel with a wire brush and another end with sandpaper to polish the conduit but I couldn't get to do all the way around the conduit.

I have another go and see if I can do a better job.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
And measure from an exposed section, for example, a brass bush with a good connection to bare metal.
Paints and lacquers can a bad connection make!
Although, if the conduit makes s sound connection with the case of the CU, you should get a good reading off the earth terminal inside.

Actually I just realised I didn't deduct the resistance of the lead I used from the CU earth to the socket to test it with,
which is the earth wire of a 2.5mm2 lead which flicks between 0.2 and 0.3 ohms for itself.
So maybe not so bad after all.

By the way my die and stock arrived today and I managed to thread the conduit with an M16 thread and the 20mm to 16mm reducer fits snug on the end.

Not sure I need it now but it was an interesting exercise.
And tools and skills acquired are never a waste. Next on your list should be a 20mm die set, a bender, and (if I'm not mistaken) a pipe vice :D

Sponsored Links
And tools and skills acquired are never a waste. Next on your list should be a 20mm die set, a bender, and (if I'm not mistaken) a pipe vice :D

I already ordered a 20mm die and I bought a hand pipe bender a while ago which is useless for rigid steel conduit ha ha
I took it over to me friend who is a big muscled body builder and he couldn't bend the conduit with it either so I was happy with that ;)

A pipe vice is an interesting one, I never knew they existed but I guess you could see what my vice did to the conduit with those big teeth bite marks on it.

The following looks pretty good if I can get for that price as always can resell later on.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hilmor-E...m=183099297119&_trksid=p2047675.c100009.m1982

Last edited:
Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
I had a Electrician replace my old metal fusebox with a modern consumer unit I got from Screwfix and I am really not happy with what he did but once he started I had no option but to let him finish as I need an electric supply as I work at home via the internet.
I've read the tale of woe.

Have you reported this to the association that the electrician is registered with and also to your local council's consumer protection team (ie trading standards)?

Perhaps not for your sake as you are getting things sorted out, but it's important that you do as this bloke is doing that kind of work elsewhere and it may well need looking in to - his other customers may not be so clued up.

Have you reported this to the association that the electrician is registered with and also to your local council's consumer protection team (ie trading standards)?

I'm not even sure that butcher is registered with the NACB...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back