Consumer Unit Replacement

Those cables are in the safe zone, so don't worry about that aspect.

You could do far worse than take up RF's offer.
I would seriously consider it. His work is impeccable.

Sponsored Links
Thanks securespark, I assume you all know each other and its a very kind offer and I might just do that its just I am in a critical stage with my work (software developer) and I work from home and need to keep my power for the next 2 weeks to complete it.
Maybe i will message him and see shortly as I was waiting for someone to come back to me but they haven't.
its good to know those cables are OK as it is obvious not to drill there I would have thought as it is only only tile down vertically from the socket.
I was trying to get my partner with our little one to go and stay with a friend for a few days as otherwise its so difficult to do anything involving lifting floorboards etc with them around.
I really do appreciate everyone's advice, it helps a lot thanks guys.

Thanks securespark, I assume you all know each other and its a very kind offer and I might just do that
I second that recommendation. Don’t know about securespark but I don’t know RF, I’m just going by work I’ve seen him post on here, and impeccable is the best word for it

What are these people thinking?
Nothing.

And they are so ******* thick that they don't even realise.

A major factor in them getting to this point will, I promise you, have been years and years of people who knew they were thick and unthinking encountering them, but being unwilling to call them out for being thick and unthinking lest they, heaven forbid, upset them.

Think on.

Sponsored Links
As no one else has mentioned it so far, I need to tell you that flexible conduit is not acceptable to be used as a CPC (earth) due to the unreliable nature of the connection of glands to the conduit.

The only way to make this installation where the conduit is used as the CPC compliant with regulations, and more importantly safe, is to replace the existing with continuous rigid metallic containment.

As you have said the cut off conduits can be unscrewed, it should be a fairly simple operation to install imperial to metric converters and install new pieces of conduit of the correct length.

I'm pleased to hear that RF is keen to make such a good job of this.

I've seen this kind of job 'rectified', with the tubes filed nicely, oval pvc conduit stuffed into the ends, and the tubes then inserted into a plastic enclosure, butted up the consumer unit. Then a large earth wire from the cu to earth clamps on each tube in the enclosure.

A bodge maybe, but a good bodge.

If RF is prepared to do what he proposes, I would certainly use him if I were you. I would say few people nowadays would go to that trouble, so you should get a top job.

Thanks RF Lighting, I understand that about flexible conduit and if I had decided to go that route I would have still put earth wires to the earth clamps on them anyway as I didn't think they would be suitable as well. Fitting proper rigid conduit would be the preferred way to go for me and I have been searching for conduit to use.
The problem is I can't find any in the UK, USA is fine but the shipping charges are pretty large.
Plus I am now beginning to think maybe its a 16mm conduit and not the imperial 3/8" I thought it was as when I measure the external rim diameter its 16mm with a ruler (previously I calculated it by measuring the circumference as 17.19mm).
I got no experience with conduit, no real experience with anything really in terms of bits and pieces needed.
Maybe I could send you this small section of conduit I unscrewed(as in the photo) and you can tell me what it is, at least that way you will know what is needed if you do come down to do the job but obviously we need to speak first.
I am currently stuck doing some critical changes to some software for a client which is taking up all my time but hopefully it will be complete in the next 2 weeks.

Thanks Guys

Ha ha I wish, good idea, I wonder if they continued with the Chinese subcontractors ?
In my previous job we outsource to Bangalore in India and the team that took over from us were extremely bright clever people.
The only problem was they didn't stay at that outsource company very long and staff were always changing and nothing got delivered from as far as I recall as the learning curve was reasonably high. Then later they moved other projects to Beijing but that one worked I believed.
For my current job I am the whole IT department (networking, architecture, software development, testing etc)

I put on the earth straps today after polishing the conduit so it gets a good connection and connected them together and into the CU earth terminal.
So far nothing has tripped which is good news but just wondering when I test the earth at all the sockets around the flat what is an acceptable resistance back to the main earth terminal ?
The socket tester I bought states that it only tests earth connection of 200K ohms or more which is a lot. I was thinking of single digit ohms but I guess it depends how close to the CU it is and the state of the conduit pipe ?

I hope the 6mm earth cable I used is good enough to earth them all.
Please note this is just a temporary stop gap until it is sorted out properly.

Please ignore the PVC conduit pipe it was just an experiment to see how a 20mm conduit would fit on top of the existing conduit.

just wondering when I test the earth at all the sockets around the flat what is an acceptable resistance back to the main earth terminal ?
It should be next to nothing.

The socket tester I bought states that it only tests earth connection of 200K ohms or more which is a lot.
Not sure what the use of that is or what it means apart from what it actually says.
Which tester is it?

You will need a multimeter.

I was thinking of single digit ohms but I guess it depends how close to the CU it is and the state of the conduit pipe ?
Yes, much less than 1.
The distance would have to be considerable to make a significant difference.

I hope the 6mm earth cable I used is good enough to earth them all.
Yes, 6mm² is fine.

I bought the following, mainly just as an easy way to check which sockets were on which circuit.https://www.screwfix.com/p/fluke-sm100-socket-tester/2460j
click here for more details

Voluntary Recall Information - FLUKE Socket Testers
This entry was posted on February 23, 2018 by Katie Ludgate.

Fluke Corporation has issued a voluntary recall on their Fluke SM100, SM200 and SM300 Electrical Socket Testers. If you have one of these products it is advisable to read the attached document to see if your product is affected. Details of what to do and how to contact Fluke for a product replacement are included.

The following Fluke Socket Tester models are being voluntarily recalled

Model Name Description Fluke Part Number PASS SKU
FLUKE-SM100 Socket Mater Tester 2406958
FLK-STU-KIT Fluke Student Kit 4918301
ROBIN-SM100 Socket Master 2072250 ROBST1
ROBIN-SM200 Socket Master Plus 2072261 ROBST2
FLUKE-SM200 Socket Master Plus 2406964
ROBIN-SM300 Socket Master Tester 2072277 ROBST3
FLUKE-SM300 Socket Master Advanced 2406973
View Fluke SM100 Product listing

Description of safety issue

The primary function of the SM100, SM200, and SM300 Socket testers is to detect the presence of an open ground in a socket outlet. Socket outlet. Socket outlets are often installed in metal boxes and have exposed metal parts connected to the earth pin of the socket.

If the socket Tester detects a missing earth condition, shown on the tester as a green light on the first of the 3 light bulbs on the tester, the internal circuitry will source a voltage from the phase conductor onto the earth pin of the socket outlet, as well as any metal parts connected to the earth pin of the socket.

Such a condition can result in an electric shock to the user. The current level is probably not life-threatening in most cases but could be painful and may be sufficient to knock a person down or off a ladder. To date Fluke are only aware of one instance out of 81,000 units sold, where the user has had an electric shock through this fault condition. No injury was sustained.

Fluke is offering Product replacements. Please visit www.fluke.com/sockettester for more details on this recall and how to claim a product replacement.

Kind Regards, John

Wow thanks for that, I will have to send it back.
you guys on here are amazing.

You would have thought in this day and age that people like ScrewFix would be able to use their database of sales to notify people of recalled products.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back