consumer unit timer for storage heating circuit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am a caretaker at a local charity's building that has several communal rooms for meetings etc. The rooms only need to be heated for the duration of the meetings , which seldom last for very long. The storage heaters, (older type), are on an economy 7 circuit.
I am considering using a timer to allow only a couple of hours charge into the heaters per night. The manual output dial would then be the only control people using the rooms need to worry about (the input dial can be left set to max). someone will need to open the output vents a half hour before the meeting and remember to close off afterwards. I think this would limit the potential for wasted heat. There are 7 heaters which can feasibly be switched on at any time.

I have seen consumer unit mounted timers available to control on off events for 7 days. So I thought that 2 hours 5 nights a week during the off peak period would provide plenty enough heat for our purposes.

Does this sound like a reasonable thing to try? Can anyone recommend a timer that suits our needs?

Sponsored Links
The problem you are going to have is adjusting the "charge" to cope with the outside temperature. Does the building have wifi? You could fit some fan heaters to wifi plugs, keep the dial on the economy 7 low, so as only to provide background heat and then use fan heaters on wifi plugs to boost the temperature, when the building is in use.

If there is a booking system for the building you could even link the booking diary to the heating using some free apps.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back