Consumer units

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning all,

I recently moved house and found that the external garage had power, supplied by a cable coming out of the loft.

Upon checking it seems that the cable leading to the garage is part of the upstairs socket ring, extended out to the garage using what appears to be unarmoured cable buried a few inches into a flower bed. In the garage it is a junction box with separate cables for lights and sockets. Am I correct in thinking it is unacceptable to extend in interior circuit into outbuildings? Garage is approx 6 m from house.

As such, I want a new armoured cable leading back to the consumer unit, with a garage consumer unit to supply the garage. I plan on getting an electrician in to do this because: part P, I know my limits, I intend to sell the house in the not too distant future.

The only thing I'm concerned about is getting the new circuit added to my consumer unit. The house is from the 1970's, I don't know how old the consumer unit is. If I ask an electrician to add a circuit are they going to insist on new CU/house wiring/other enormous expense? I've added photos of my current CU if it helps ID/date it:

IMG-20150227-WA0006_zpsbtymycc6.jpg

IMG-20150227-WA0012_zpsfg5mnrze.jpg

Cheers

Donny

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Firstly - why bother if you are selling?

Then, there is plenty of room in the CU for whatever you want or

it could be run from the supply tails to the garage.

There may be attempts to persuade you you now must have a metal CU but you do not.

Thanks for the reply!

Anyway, miscommunication on my part - I've just bought the house, the "selling in the not too distant future" comment was to mean I want it to be above board because I will sell in a couple of years as I move around for work and could do without any issues - although clearly my surveyor either missed it, or didn't take issue with it in it's current state.

So if I get a sparky in, reckon he should be happy to add a circuit to the current CU without insisting on replacement/major rectification (unless there are faults of course)?

Cable routing will be a pita as the CU is on the opposite side of the house (terraced) to the garage, which is why the previous owners had it taken from the loft.

Cheers

Am I correct in thinking it is unacceptable to extend in interior circuit into outbuildings?
No.

I want a .. garage consumer unit
Why?

If I ask an electrician to add a circuit are they going to insist on new CU/house wiring/other enormous expense?
If they do, then show them the door.

The only time you'd need what's there improved would be when there's a problem with the main earthing or bonding, and if that's the case you need that fixed asap under any circumstances.

Sponsored Links
Hi Ban all sheds,

Thanks for your response. I wanted a garage CU so I can have sockets and lights that won't both trip at the same time should something go wrong. It also seemed dodgy to have several sockets and lights running as a spur from an indoor circuit, but alas I'm no expert. The garage supply does have a 13A fused switch indoors if that makes a difference. I will also eventually want a 30 amp supply in the garage (power hungry homebrewing kit).

The cable appears to be unarmoured and buried shallow too which isn't very confidence inspiring, the wife is a bit garden fork happy. Figured I'd get it all done at once.

If what is there is acceptable (albeit not at 30A) then I'll leave it be for now as my current setup uses about 10A. Out of interest could I have a garage unit on the end of the current setup? Would that be notifiable?

Apologies for the noob questions, I have plenty of other distractions to be filling my time with than trying to become an amateur electrician.

Cheers,

Donny

I wanted a garage CU so I can have sockets and lights that won't both trip at the same time should something go wrong.
It should do that at present although if you have a large fault the circuit breaker in the house may trip.

It also seemed dodgy to have several sockets and lights running as a spur from an indoor circuit, but alas I'm no expert. The garage supply does have a 13A fused switch indoors if that makes a difference.
Not dodgy because it is limited to the 13A.

I will also eventually want a 30 amp supply in the garage (power hungry homebrewing kit).
Then you will need a new supply, from CU or supply tails, to the garage.

If what is there is acceptable (albeit not at 30A) then I'll leave it be for now as my current setup uses about 10A. Out of interest could I have a garage unit on the end of the current setup?
There is no point.

Would that be notifiable?
I suppose, strictly speaking, it would but as it is pointless it doesn't really apply.

I wanted a garage CU so I can have sockets and lights that won't both trip at the same time should something go wrong.
It should do that at present although if you have a large fault the circuit breaker in the house may trip.

Again, thanks for the response, much appreciated.

Currently there is one cable into the garage, this goes into a four way junction box. one cable coming out of it feeds sockets, the other two are lights/light switch.

I'm in my garage with an angle grinder - I cut through the power cable causing many sparks and a big bang, assuming I'm not too dead to care then surely both the lights and sockets would shut off when it trips the circuit breaker in the house? (Leaving me in the dark with a still spinning angle grinder).

Cheers,

I must say, cutting through power supplies isn't at the top of my bucket list :whistle:.

Glad that the garage power supply isn't as dodgy as I had first thought though (y).

Ah... just realised I've been a bit dim...

A garage CU on the current setup would be pointless because it may trip back at the house anyway - losing both the lights and the sockets regardless of whether there was a CU in the garage. So what you said earlier :whistle:.

Point taken (y).

If you are going to be working after dark then I would strongly consider emergency lighting. Try as you may to ensure discrimination between protective devices it doesn't always work out in practice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back