Continual boiler problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
keep having issues with daughters baxi combi boiler to a point where we are thinking about replacement.
A number of the quotes we received also mention wanting to do a central heating system flush. Drained some of the water from the base of a radiator the water was very clean with no signs of solids or sediments. If we go ahead and replace the boiler can we avoid a flush and just add inhibitor to the system /new boiler. (As just moved working on a tight budget)
Any advice really gratefully accepted

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the reply Ian.
They have a Baxi combi 80e.
The boiler fires up as normal then on both CH and direct water supply heats up and boiler quickly moves up its temperature range before tripping out showing flashing 80+ deg.
We have had the PCB replaced lasted about 2 weeks then the same problem reoccurs. Have been told of possible heat exchange issues but central heating water very clean. Other comments from repair engineers suggest the boiler is an old model and therefore not economical to repair.
Any help gratefully accepted.

Totally serviceable boiler and no need to replace, have a look at Baxi fixed price repair, you will get someone familiar with the boiler and all the parts are included in the price and usually have a years warranty, boiler has some little quirks but a decent enough boiler

Sponsored Links
Thanks Ian I will check out the Baxi repair website. Would you agree we probably dont need a system flush as the CH water is clear almost looks as clean as tap water and no signs of sludge. We keep having power flushes mentioned to us

Due to age of boiler I would expect a couple of components are partly blocked or worn. As said previous get baxi fixed price repair organised

I am guessing it is maintenance contract companies, BG SSE and the like that are mentioning power flushing, they are under so much pressure to sell these and once it is logged on their system every attending engineer after that has to keep the pressure on you to get it done, absolute disgrace in my opinion but it wont go away, they make millions out of it

Thanks for your replies Ian and Hanson I will mention getting Baxi on board and your comments are a reassurance that the boiler can be repaired then we can plan to replace the boiler at a convenient time to all

Get a local heating engineer to stick a new pump in as its the most likely suspect.

Thanks for the advice picasso this boiler operates intermittently and can work sometimes for 20 mins I would guess that the pump either works or it doesn't or is that a very simplistic view .

Pumps can slowly die, they work sort of for a while before continually having the boiler overheat, you can pick up a second hand pump for under £50 and give it a go, manufacturers fixed price repair is normally around the £300 if they will touch a boiler that old.

Don't rule out system contamination, just because the water is clear... A full drain down to see what comes out in the dregs is a better indication than just letting a couple of litres out... Most rads run clear when first drained... Its only when you lift the buggers at an angle to remove them that the black shyte shows itself!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back