Contractor asking for bank details and tax reference?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Getting some tarmac done, firm we've chosen to do it has asked us to supply them with our bank details, references(from previous contractors) and also our tax reference...

The firm is quite large and also well known in the area but seems quite odd for them to request this information, what good to them is my bank details and tax reference?

I assume they want it because they've been done over in the past having done jobs and not been paid but still.

Sponsored Links
What does "quite large and well known" mean?

Do you have as much detail on them as they require from you?

I can understand what they are doing if they are a genuine firm.
Winning in court, if in a dispute, means nothing unless you have sufficient details to hunt and hound someone down for your money.

Seems reasonable to me - although you don't say the value of the work. I sometimes smile when clients ask builders to provide bank references. The builders are usually providing thousands of pounds worth of work and materials up front. Really the builders should be asking clients to provide bank references. Which is what this lot are asking for.

it's about 6k. The are well known surfacing company who are probably more used to working with larger clients...

Just didn't really understand what information they can get from having my bank details, what's it prove other than I have a bank account?

Sponsored Links
As Dann09 inferred above, if you end up in dispute and get taken to the small claims court, and the contractor wins his case against you, you can simply choose to ignore the judgement.

Having your bank details though, he can subsequently ask the court to freeze your account and the bank are obliged to pay the amount laid down in the judgement (assuming enough funds).

As suggested, he's probably been burned before. Nothing to stop you covering the same risk though, and if this is the case, no reason for him to object.

it is quite common for contractors working for private landlords to have difficulty getting paid.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back