Contractor has damaged my Soffit

And when this "quality" builder damages something else?

I`d get another quote, give him it.

Sponsored Links
These things happen and in this case I fully appreciate why it happened. In other words, when removing my neighbours soffit which ajoined mine, the soffit on my side broke. Easily done I suppose considering how brittle the stuff is.

The guy has done a whole load of work along the terrace of which I am at one end.
- Built a conservatory for by neighbour 10 years ago (it's still standing!)
- Replaced front and back doors for a few houses down last year
- Replaced soffits, facias and guttering for 3 houses this week
- Replaced back door for immediate neighrbours today
- Replacing immediate neighbours front door and fitting a bay window in the next couple of days

All the work appears to be of a good quality. His builders seem nice, honest and genuine guys. He has been very good with my issue and offered various options to rectify/replace.

The only downside is that he can be a little unreliable in terms of being a day or 2 late, but that doesn't bother me. After all, aren't all tradesmen like that? ;)

Sponsored Links
Alarm, the thought has crossed my mind, but then the guy has offered to repair the damage at no cost. Still, there is the possibility of (dare I say) "foul play".

But then, looking at the bigger picture, all 4 houses in the middle of the terrace have had their soffirs, etc done either this week or in past couple of years. It is only the end houses (ours being one) that haven't had them replaced.

My thinking is that our house wont look too good comapred to the others - especially if we look to move in the next 2-3 years.

Fair enough, as has been said before. You asked, we gave an opinion.
I can see the advantage if selling in the next few years (although in this climate is it worth it ).
Stilll as you say, it seems too handy this has happened now. As the labour is available and the access needed on site so to speak. Call me cynical if you may.

LOL - I must be the biggest cynic out there!!!

I have also spoken to some of our neighbours and they have had other quotes that have all been much more than what I am being quoted.
Can I get the job done cheaper? Maybe.
Will I have easy access to previous work (as part of a reference)? I doubt.

Anyway, I would like to thank all those that have contributed thios this thread.
I asked for opinions, and I am very grateful to all those that have contributed.

Fingers crossed, I will be able to follow up with a very positive post as to my satisfaction of the work done.[/u]

Good luck.

Meant as Kenney Everett used to say "in the best possible taste" :D

And when this "quality" builder damages something else?

You've never made a mistake then?

Yes, and repaired it or gotten someone in to do so at no cost to the client.

My point was the "error" seems to have been used to generate more work.

Suppose your spotless then
?

I don't recall even suggesting that I haven't. In fact the reverse is implied.

It may be true that he engineered the damage, but one would expect the offer of chargeable remedials being made before the substandard free repair.

Sponsored Links
Back