'Controllable' concrete removal....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a solid concrete floor in my house.
Most of the floor has quarry tiles set into the concrete, apart from one corner which is just completely concrete for about a sq meter.
... and that concrete has been filled in level with the top of the tiles.

In order to put matching tiles in that corner, i need to lower the concerete there by about 1/4 inch so i can bed the new tiles in to be level with their old companions.

I've tried block hammer and bolster/chisel ..... i've tried my B&Q hammer drill ... but it's all painstakingly slow.
I have been tempted with a pick ... but obviously don't want to damage the floor deeper than the 1/4 inch.

Any ideas what tool would effectively but 'controllably' remove the top 1/4 of concrete from my solid floor ?

(does all that make sense ??)

Sponsored Links
A concrete planer? Hired.
Would take off about 2mm per pass, so might take a while. And a bit dusty. Just finish the corners with a chisel.
I'm talking about the electric handheld ones btw! Not the push along petrol ones :LOL:

Many thanks .. looked them up on google and got very excited ! Only prob is that they are £50+ to hire for a single day... and I think a builder with the tool in his kit-bag already might do the whole job for the same.

Still, many thanks.. at least now i know i've looked at all the options lol !

Sponsored Links
Have you already got the tiles to match simon?
By the time you have removed the concrete, have you thought about retiling the whole floor? I think you could go over the top as long as they're sound. And you would be sure of an even matching floor.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back