Conventional to Combi change - B&Q quote- advice please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dear all,
We have decided to change our 30-year old Thorn-EMI boiler to combi. We had a quote from B&Q which includes their own make 35W boiler (10year parts & labour warranty), TRV's to 9 existing radiators, installing one new radiator (to our garage conversion), thermostat, system flush (hot & cold) and magna clean installation along with all the pipe work (upgrade to 28mm) for 3.7k. They have said they could fit a worcester bosch/ valliant for the same price (with 5yr warranty) but strongly recommended their boiler; apparently the only one with AA rating and 10yr warranty.
We have had another quote from a respectable local plumber for worcester bosch along with all the changes for exactly the same price.
My questions are:
1. Should I go for B&Q boiler or Worscester Bosch/ Valliant
2. Should I bother getting any further quotes as B&Q quote seems very competitive (I live in London)

Many thanks in advance.

regards,
Nishan

Sponsored Links
The B&Q boiler is an own branded Sime Murelle. Whilst I don't think they're any better or worse than the others you could consider the following.

It's highly unlikely (in fact I'd say almost impossible) that B&Q will still stock, keep accessories or spares for, or have anything to do with that model in 5 let alone 10 years time. Any warranty will be underwritten by whoever underwrites them.

The people they use for the work will have one overriding qualification criteria to gain B&Q's business - The lowest price.

The price they've quoted, to me is irrelevant. I'm only doubting the overall quality of their offer.

35kW on 10 rads.

Seriously :eek:

Crap boilers installed by crap fitters desperate for work. Following the specs of some sales muppet using the "Spinal Tap" method of quoting.

Not going to comment on the figures as I haven't seen the job, or the other estimates you've had.

BUT, I have a hunch ;)

Can't think of a single decent Sime boiler.

Do the professionals here remember the fun identifying spares for the myriad of Friendly Formats :LOL:

Sponsored Links
For such an old boiler, check out the various grants and energy incentives that can cut the cost.

Can't think of a single decent Sime boiler.

I found the cheaper later SE models OK. With budget brands it's best to avoid their complex models (they don't do the technology bit very well), the simple ones work well. They shouldn't be dressed up to the customer as anything else.

Dear all,
We have decided to change our 30-year old Thorn-EMI boiler to combi. We had a quote from B&Q which includes their own make 35W boiler (10year parts & labour warranty),
In 10 years time, that combi boiler will have had several repairs and only be good for scrap metal. You will then have to pay for another one.

The Thorn one will still be working.

May I ask what thorn boiler you have at the moment?

If it happens to be an apollo fanfare then stop reading now as the flue will be about to rot through and it will need changing at some point soon.

I've just recalculated how much I would save from changing my 30 year old Thorn Olympic boiler but this time I took into account the £99 a year standing charge that I won't make a saving on.

Drum roll please!

I will save the amazing amount of ....

are you ready for this????

Ok here goes.

£105.11 a year

Ta da!

So if I were to pay £3.7k for a new one I would expect my money back in about 35 years time. I bet your new one doesn't last half that time and it will cost more in maintenance.

Hi all,
Thank you very much for the replies; clearly not what I expected.

In this case, should I ask them to fit the Worcester Bosch/ Valliant?

In terms of my current boiler, it has been giving us trouble intermittently (radiators not warm enough etc and we may end up converting our loft at some point)
Is the overwhelming majority against changing the boiler altogether?

Once again, your wisdom is much appreciated.

Regards,
Nishan

Can't speak for others, but this is not the point I'm making. My issue is not with the boiler but the offer. If an installer fits and maintains Sime and does a good job and looks after you, it's a good deal.

Not the same when a national distributor, with no manufacturing, R&D or technical expertise, takes the same boiler, mis-sells it as something else, then sugar coats it with unrealistic clause ridden warranties, with no intention of backing it long term.

Why are you wanting to change to a combi boiler?
How many bathrooms have you got - and will this loft conversion add another one?

In terms of my current boiler, it has been giving us trouble intermittently (radiators not warm enough etc
Most likely due to sludge / failing pump / rusted old radiators / etc.
The cleaning out done when the new boiler is fitted probably would - but that could be done without having a new boiler.

Why are you wanting to change to a combi boiler?
How many bathrooms have you got - and will this loft conversion add another one?

I have only one currently but intend to add another shower-room in the loft perhaps in a couple of years

In terms of my current boiler, it has been giving us trouble intermittently (radiators not warm enough etc
Most likely due to sludge / failing pump / rusted old radiators / etc.
The cleaning out done when the new boiler is fitted probably would - but that could be done without having a new boiler.

Yes, this is true I agree but I am struggling to find a decent plumber who can diagnose and treat properly.

Tibbot/ Dan - you both seem to be close to where I live (stanmore) - would you care to look at this and fix?

Many thanks,
Nishan[/quote]

go on dan go and quote for a intergas and stick a real boiler in there :) if needed or just fix the fault :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back