converting a spur to ringmain socket in kitchen/utility room

just out of intrest what did sparks do before multi-meters etc for testing, i assume they havnt been around for decades and certainly not in the form they are now?

Sponsored Links
AVO.jpg

They came in a nice leather case and quite a few people I know still prefer them

Sponsored Links
many thanks to all for your comments
what I will probably do is use brown blue cable,
lay it myself, set up all the new sockets,
then get an electrician to do the important links to and near present ringmain/spur socket [hard to describe, I know what I mean]
I will then check that I am happy with all the connections after he's gone
(agreeing with pbar I think)
Im certainly not going to pay an electrician to lay cable, sell me self sticking trunking etc
thanks
again

dandt said:
then get an electrician to do the important links to and near present ringmain/spur socket [hard to describe, I know what I mean]
I will then check that I am happy with all the connections after he's gone

You're going to check connections that a qualified electrician has made to make sure you're happy with them? :eek:
Surely I've got the wrong end of the stick here but that's what it sounds like!

To GaryMo
I was making refernece to "pbars" excellent point that often electricians do no better than the DIYer.
True they may strim wires a lot quicker than me because theyve got the right tool and do it all the time. Similarly they drill a standard hole and use a standard rawplug whereas Im always searching for the right drill bit.
However the home owner has time to check everything is right (for example I like all my screw heads to be pointing the same way whereas a tradesman wouldnt bother - dont bother replying to me about this quirk of mine)
It may be that I do not check all the connections immediately after theyve left. But at some point (out of curiosity) I would probably take a quick peek.
I didnt intend to get drawn into a dialogue like this but now I can see how it happens!
If you are a tradesman GaryMo, I totally repsect you and your profession
but please read my comment in the context of the whole discussion. You should be pleased that I will be getting someone in - even though I dont really feel I need to.
thanks

Some fair comments there. I also share the same passion of screw heads lining up but only socket screws - they all have to be perfectly horizontal!!
Yes, I'm an electrician with C&G2391.

pbar said:
Hi again. Appreciate what you're saying, however, no electrician I've ever had in to do work as done the tests you mention. They simply wire everything up, turn on, yes, everything works, then they go.
I've no doubt that there are guys (like your good self, like others on here), who are very trustworthy, check everything, then check again and are totally reliable. But, in my opinion, most are not. They are more like -connect it up, it works, thanks for the money, see you.

Only cowboys install and don't test. Getting it wrong can prove fatal and results in a court case and a stretch inside. The fact that we don't read about hundreds of such cases each week would lead me to believe your opinion is wrong. I'm sure you have met cowboys, but you've been unlucky. Then again you keep telling us that you always have to check their work and make it better.

pbar said:
We determine that we are capable, if we know what we are doing and are certain it is right. I am capable of wiring a plug, fitting a spur, replacing a socket, replacing an MCB, etc.

How can you be 'certain you are right'. I do this job every day and only know it is right after I've tested and confirmed results are acceptable.

Agreed, all my work is tested be it via EIC or MWC. That's how an electrician works. How could anybody walk away from a job without knowing it's been left in a safe condition? The only way to guarantee that is to carry out testing.

pbar said:
We determine that we are capable, if we know what we are doing and are certain it is right. I am capable fitting a spur, replacing a socket, replacing an MCB, etc.

EEBADS? Will the circuit disconnect in the required time (0.4s / 5s)? How would you check?
That's part of the course of determining if it's safe or not, not by plugging in a table lamp.

scousespark said:
Getting it wrong can prove fatal and results in a court case and a stretch inside.
It can prove fatal but rarely does. All our installation norms are based on continuous ratings of the cables even though in most cases they are only used intermittantly so things like broken rings aren't anywhere near as bad in practice as they first appear. When cables do fail they tend to fail with a bang and some smoke but rarely fire because the plastics used to make the cables are self extinguishing. Disconnection times are unlikely to be an issue on a domestic with type B breakers unless there is something wrong with the suppliers earth or the breakers are really out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back