Cooker Cable slightly damaged . Advice on repair.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Who ever fitted the kitchen in my house, which was a new build, almost screwed through the cooker circuit cable when mounting the wall cupboards.

Ive just chased them back to fit a new kitchen and found that the cupboard mounting screw has passed through the grey outer coating and bruised the black cable inside.

Any suggestion on how to make safe. There has never been an issue with the circuit tripping and Ive lived here from when it was first built.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
So not just "bruised" then.

As you're exposing the cable anyway, might as well replace it.

Who ever fitted the kitchen in my house, which was a new build, almost screwed through the cooker circuit cable when mounting the wall cupboards.
Was that because they were hard of thinking, or because the cable shouldn't be were it is?

Sponsored Links
Silly question but why is the cooker cable behind the wall-mounted cupboards??

I would have thought that the cables would come UP to the cooker switch from below and that the switch is situated below the wall cabinets...

Or am I just being thick (BAS will tell me if I am...)

B

When the ground floor is concrete Cables can but run under the upstairs floor and down to the cooker switch.

If it were me I would put some silicon sealant on it.

Thanks Andy.

It obviously WAS me being thick....

Albeit my ground floor is all concrete and the cables come UP...

:oops:

the ground floor is a suspended wooden floor over concrete base. the cables run from garage up into ceiling then to all the rooms and down the walls.

The cooker cable runs down behind the plaster board wall behind the wall units to the cooker switch which is mounted between the work surface and the wall units.

Ive cut away some of the grey insulation to examine the cable and 6mm of copper has been exposed of the black cable, non of red cable.

To replace it I would have to add a junction box above the new units, Could I put a sleeve over the black cable then insulate the whole section?

IF none of the strands of copper is damaged, you could wrap the exposed conductor with self-amalgamating tape and then wrap the whole cable.

I wouldn't want to cut the wire unless absolutely necessary.

From what you have described, my bet is the IR test will pass with flying colours, but test it anyhow to be on the safe side.

Is the cable in a safe zone?

From what you have described, my bet is the IR test will pass with flying colours, but test it anyhow to be on the safe side.
Whilst I'm not disagreeing at all with what TTC and yourself have said, I wonder whether the OP does not require some more realistic/practical advice - it seems very unlikely that anyone who comes here to ask how to deal with a damaged cable will be equipped to undertake an IR test (it's so far only been described as 'IR', so he may well not even know what it means!).

If it is felt that an IR test should be undertaken (although, as you say, I think the result is almost certain), maybe the OP should be advised to get an electrician in to undertake the test (and, whilst (s)he is there, probably deal with the cable in some way as well)?

Kind Regards, John

I will tape as described and then before I fit the kitchen units I will have the electrician test everything. Then if anything is wrong there is access still to the taped cable.

The circuit has been used for the past 20 years without issue and there is no signs of scorching or soot or burning at the location.

Even if it is ok I may just leave the section protected (as in covered) by a junction box and accessible at the rear of the wall cupboard. Ie not plastered over.

cheers

[quote"]bruise (bruːz/) noun
an injury appearing as an area of discoloured skin on the body, caused by a blow or impact rupturing underlying blood vessels.[/quote]

I don't think cables bruise!

- If its only damaged the covering, there might be repair options.
- If its damaged the copper, small nick, dent, etc, a join/replacement is needed imo.

Daniel

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back