Cooker connector

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning,

I'm getting a new distribution board fitted, and want to run cabling for where a new cooker is going to go (completely new location from existing) beforehand so that it can be connected to the board ahead of the extension being built. I have three questions:

1) Can the switch be in a cupboard? I've seen various opinions online. It would save 2m of cabling if I can, and mean I only need 10m reel rather than 25m.

2) Do I need to use a cooker connection unit as well as the switch? When current cooker was delivered the guys from Currys wouldn't use existing wiring as this went direct to the switch. I'll probably add a connection unit in either way, but am interested to know if it's actually required!

3) Is there any problem with running the cable along the joists?

Thanks,

Mark

Sponsored Links
1) Switches are not a requirement so can be put anywhere you want.
Not much point having one in a cupboard.

2) Have Curry's ever fitted anything and not found a reason not to?
It's up to you whether you want a poor or good installation.

3) No.

2) Have Curry's ever fitted anything and not found a reason not to?

No idea, but it did seem odd how quickly they concluded that it couldn't possibly be done, despite the previous cooker's existing wiring. I was very happy for them not to though, I got free delivery and £75 refunded then wired it in myself.....

Thanks for the other responses.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back