cooker dead

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My range cooker has just gone dead inc hood fan and light. There is no fuse for it in consumer unit. I can see a cooker switch and skt (used for hood) at the back of the adjacent unit but no sign of a fuse unit. It was fitted as part of a new kitchen for the previous owner by MFI ! . There was an Aga there before hence no existing wiring. Any tips as to where they got the supply from to save dimantling , Thanks Mike.

Sponsored Links
Can't see it from here. Is it electric hob or gas, and how many electric ovens and grills does it have? Can you see the rating plate and the amps or kw rating?

Can you see a cable coming out of the back and going into the wall?

tompencoed said:
There is no fuse for it in consumer unit. I can see a cooker switch and skt (used for hood) at the back of the adjacent unit but no sign of a fuse unit.
kitchen fitter alert!

tompencoed said:
It was fitted as part of a new kitchen for the previous owner by MFI !

I'm sure the supply arrangement for the cooker will be fully detailed on the electrical installation certificate that was issued for the work and passed on to you with the other house documents.

Sorry for the sarcasm, but MFI have come in for a lot of stick for their dodgy practices regarding kitchen electrics.

You may have no option but to start searching.

Sponsored Links
Have solved it. They had wired it as a spur off the kitchen ring main and the neutral was loose all three conductors black,the copper that is ,not the insulation !. Have cleaned it up but can it stay like that?. The hob is gas one large oven 3 elements , bottom 2.8,fan 2.1,grill 2.5kw total 30A, but will they all be used at once,anyway many thanks for your interest,Mike

tompencoed said:
one large oven 3 elements , bottom 2.8,fan 2.1,grill 2.5kw total 30A

You need a proper cooker circuit. For the moment, buy a box of 13A cartridge fuses and blu-tak it to the FCU.

JohnD said:
the moment, buy a box of 13A cartridge fuses and blu-tak it to the FCU.

I suspect in realitity the fuse won't blow anywhere near as often as a first glance would have you beleive, a 13A fuse will hold 1.6x13A= 20.8A for half an hour and when you consider that you are not going to have everything on every time you use the cooker (and I'm guessing the grill and one of the ovens can't be used together anyway) diversity will take care of the rest, once initial temperature has been reached the elements will cut in and out on the thermostat and the times that everything is taking juice at once is quite minimal. The FCU might get pretty damn warm after a few hours hard cooking just before the fuse blows though (assumming such a thing would ever happen)

Needs re-doing properly of course, but the investment in the replacement fuses in the meantime is unlikely to be neccessary :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back