Cooker Hood into Plasterboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys

I'm trying to fit a 13kg cooker hood into drywall. It's plasterboard on battens on brick, but with foil insulation in between.

I was planning on drilling all way into brick but the insulation gets all caught in drill bit

I can get a fix with one screw on a timber. So with this, and four fixed into only the plasterboard, would this suffice do you think? Attached pic of wall

Thanks

Luke

Attachments

• 20230503_195938.jpg
    20230503_195938.jpg
    279.2 KB · Views: 39
Sponsored Links
Spring toggle fixings would probably be OK. They don't give them load ratings but 13kgs isn't very much so if you can get a few in then it should be adequate.

Alternatively, if there aren't many fixings points, you could put up a plywood backing board which connects directly to the studs or again use the spring toggles.

Again, Corfix are my choice of fixings...

Hi guys

I'm trying to fit a 13kg cooker hood into drywall. It's plasterboard on battens on brick, but with foil insulation in between.

I was planning on drilling all way into brick but the insulation gets all caught in drill bit

I can get a fix with one screw on a timber. So with this, and four fixed into only the plasterboard, would this suffice do you think? Attached pic of wall

Thanks

Luke
Doesnt matter if you get insulation on the drill bit.

Sponsored Links
Thanks all - insulation clogs up drill bit to the point which it stops being effective and can barely get it out, not to mention breaking the vapour barrier

Don't think corfix would work anyway as its more than 45mm to brick even if I could get nicely through the foil insulation

You do not want a [vibrating] heavy cooker hood held solely or partly to plasterboard.

Thanks all. So I went with ply, cut to span three studs. I then attached the hood to the ply. Seems pretty secure, only concern is the steam from cooking hitting the ply. I suppose I could chase it into plasterboard, but you can't see it behind hood

If i was using ply, i would seal it first.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back