Cooker hood 'legal' height

Sponsored Links
We're in the middle of kitchen refit - attached is a photo of how we'd like the kitchen, specifically with a neat line of wall units rather than the traditional gap for an ugly extractor fan.

We have most kitchen designers telling us we need 650mm minimum for an induction hob, whilst one or two say it's just a guideline and are happy to supply the kitchen as in the photo.

Our gap would be approx 490mm so quote a bit under.

We haven't cooked with an extraction fan for the last 8 years (ours broke) and growing up we never had one so I'm not massively bothered but what other issues will be run into if we fit this low? Building regs, fitting etc.
If the extractor doesn't poke past the edge of the cabinet, it's a moot point.

You can have extractors under the cooking surface!

The only issue really is head banging. So point 1 stands

Unless it's specifically forbidden in the IOM.

My extractor needs a minimum height because it sits over the hob.. too low and the Manf wont accept claims for heat damage.

Read the IOm.

Most people don’t notice the damage unvented kitchens cause, kitchen units discolour and finishes can peel under the upper units or even melt, when I moved to my new bungalow we ripped down all the upper cupboards which were heavily heat and moisture damaged.
But if you are of the oblivious type then nothing to worry about.

ost people don’t notice the damage unvented kitchens cause, kitchen units discolour and finishes can peel under the upper units or even melt, when I moved to my new bungalow we ripped down all the upper cupboards which were heavily heat and moisture damaged.

Even an electric kettle, located under a cupboard, can do that.

Sponsored Links
It won't be a building regs issue unless the kitchen is in a newly built extension. Then you have a different issue, if the kitchen room doesn't have independent extraction then the new extractor will have to extract to an external wall.

Induction is minimum 650, 490 you'll be head butting the unit.

Can you lose half of the unit above the hob and fit an extractor in the one above.

Neff Hide and Slide extractors would look smart.

Kitchen companies want to sell kitchens and rarely worry about the regs

650mm for electric, 750mm for gas

Anything less is a bit daft imho

I like the canopy extractors, concealed by building into a top box cabinet above the hob, and matching all the other cabs.

If you have any sense it will be wider than the hob to capture sideways drift, and high enough that you can't bang your head on it.

We have it set up like your photo but at 50cm. Honestly, if you use the front ring it doesn't draw the steam, which goes up the front of the cupboard and has already started to make the carcass laminate (or whatever it is called) swell.

Yes it looks nice, no it isn't practical. If I were doing it again I would have a normal cooker hood at a sensible height.

We have it set up like your photo but at 50cm. Honestly, if you use the front ring it doesn't draw the steam, which goes up the front of the cupboard and has already started to make the carcass laminate (or whatever it is called) swell.

Yes it looks nice, no it isn't practical. If I were doing it again I would have a normal cooker hood at a sensible height.
You could swap out for a telescopic hood - £250ish - that would cover front rings.

People tend to fit telescopics and then never move them.

That applies to extractors in general... Most people don't seem to turn their's on.
People are fundamentally lazy and stupid.

Make it easy and simple for them to do the right thing, and harder to do the wrong thing.

Wiring extractors to the light switch is an example.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back