Cooker on 13A Switch!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

I posted a msg a while ago about some dodgy wiring at a mates house. Since then the spark has been back and told my mate all is fine and he shouldnt worry. The Hob is on it own circuit direct to the fuseboard and there is a 45a switch in a cupboard to isolate it.

My issue is more with the cooker. Its wired on a 13a sour switch and wired into the main ring. Is this acceptable?? It obviously does not just power the lights and the clock on the cooker it powers the heating element too. Dont ask me the rating cos 'I havnt a clue. Its a standard bosch single oven with grill cooker setup.

Neil

Sponsored Links
Most single ovens use between 2kW - 3kW. This is an acceptable load to supply from a ring circuit.

(Providing the oven is not larger than normal)

You say you have not got a clue about the rating but you'll need it to calculate the maximum current drawn by the appliance.

Sponsored Links
I have a mate (he's a plumber) who I have recently found out has been religiously lopping off plugs from appliances such as cookers and boilers and wiring into an FCU for years! He took some convincing this is not necessary as the appliance has been designed for such a connection and is adequately protected by a BS1362 plugtopovercurrent protection device !

charliefunkuk said:
Dont ask me the rating cos 'I havnt a clue.
What's the rating?

Its a standard bosch single oven with grill cooker setup.
In that case it's a standard answer. :D

deltanetworks said:
I have a mate (he's a plumber) who I have recently found out has been religiously lopping off plugs from appliances such as cookers and boilers and wiring into an FCU for years! He took some convincing this is not necessary as the appliance has been designed for such a connection and is adequately protected by a BS1362 plugtopovercurrent protection device !
It is, however, good practice, whether or not he/she knew it, because it prevents the accessory being overloaded by one of the following opportunities for unfused naïveté:

1. The cooker and another medium load appliance each being plugged into one gang of a double socket.

2. The cooker and another medium load appliance together being plugged into a socket adaptor into a single socket.

it also removes the friction connection of the plug and socket itself..

how many times has it been posted on here about plugs getting warm or browning of a face plate on things that draw sustained high currents like heaters etc?

while the plug may be designed for 13A, if you run it at that for long periods then it tends to get warm..

someone needs to design a better connection that a bit of bent brass that stretches over time..

something mechanical and springloaded..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back