Cooker on 32mcb

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looking at a son-in-law replacing a cooker on a MCB 32A with a RCD in the CU block.
CU Replaced 2019
I'm sure its 6mm cable going to a Cooker Switch.

They want temporarily 2 single ovens. rather than a double oven.
I suggested 2 13A either with a PLUG or Hardwired rated at 13A
then from existing cooker switch a 6mm cable radial into 2 seperate single sockets.
Cable uncliped in open 47A , MK single socket 20A and spec says each screw terminal will take 2 6mm cables

However some of the cookers still say 13A fuse , BUT hardwired
In which case instead of the Sockets , just add 2 switched 13A Fused Spur

Sponsored Links
excellent ,
Thanks for the quick reply
as the CU has a RCD & MCB 32A , no point in RCD spurs - Just use the 13A Fused Spur for each Or hopefully if fitted with a plug, then just plug them in
I suggested 2 single sockets as a double socket is typically rated 20A rather then the 2x13A 26A

Sponsored Links
Ovens ordered - 2 single ovens a 2.3Kw & 2.5Kw (TOTAL) - spec for Both says Min 13A Fuse & HO5VV 1.5mm cable, cable seems standard 1.5mm from research

will use a 45A dual appliance connector from the existing cooker switch MCB 32A and RCD group 2019 CU - which was all tested , when replaced - connect then from the Appliance dual connector to 2 Fused 13A double pole switch (so live & neutral can be isolated if a fault) MK spur boxes ALL in 6m cable , which checked and is currently in place.
Then as toolstation does heat resistant 1.5mm cable 5m quite cheap will use that to connect the SPUR to the Cookers
All OPEN no cable in conduit, just clipped in tower cupboard , the Fused Spurs will be below the ovens or in the cupboard to the side , for access and out of heatzone - although i don't expect any heat from modern ovens - but a bit belt & Braces

If this is the temporary arrangement, would it not make sense to update the cable to the oven for it can take an induction hob, or, the spec of the yet unknown permanent oven.

Thanks for the suggestion, he's not changing the hob, they prefer the gas hob, BUT I will look at the Spec for that, in case in the future new kitchen.
the Double oven which broke is in a separate eye level floor to ceiling unit , so NOT under a HOB

All the other white goods , Washing m/c , Dryer etc , ironing are on another separate NEW ring main, added into the utility room, along with mains water.

however, when they rip out the kitchen and renew , then ALL new wiring will be added from the CU, RING Main was added to the kitchen, and installed as part of the CU update and other areas rectified, tested and certified when they moved in.
They ideally want a couple of ovens which the spec will need a seperate 16A/20A supply , the electrician would have added a couple of cables as she did with the ring main , while we had all the floor up , summer 2019. Oh Well
Anyway now my daughter really wants two ovens one is a NEF slide and hide oven , which needs its own dedicated supply , once they have saved for the new kitchen, this will all be added.
they will make do with the 2 BECO Ovens that run with a 13A fuse supply for the time being
Thanks Again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back